Thursday, May 8, 2014's Lowdown
We here at the Lowdown will promise you your liveliest lunch break all week if only you will hustle your buns up to Humboldt State Univerisity at noon today. SF-based string band Hot Buttered Rum will lend their pickin’ to the latest edition of HSU’s Arts on the Quad series. Maybe pick up a burrito, lay out on the Quad and tell the boss you’re takin’ a long one.
Sample some HBR in the clip below -- if you listen to KHUM you should recognize the tune -- and/or peruse the rest of your Lowdown farther down.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Laurie Lewis and Tom Rozum
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $18 / $15 members/students
Bluegrass violin and mandolin duo, "Laurie Lewis' songs combine passion and sheer craft in a way you don't hear very often. Whatever country music is supposed to be, she's at the center of it."
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
Everyone is a Scientist
Redwood Roots Farm / noon-1:30 p.m.
Everyone interested in being a citizen scientist for a day is invited to join the UC Cooperative Extension Team at Redwood Roots Farm in Bayside for an opportunity to learn more about local food production, water conservation, and local pollinators.
Everyone is a Scientist Celebration
Redwood Acres / 6-8 p.m.
Evening of presentations, complimentary hors d'oeuvres catered by Uniquely Yours and a cash bar, and an opportunity to view and discuss the results of the Redwood Roots Farm “Everyone is a Scientist” event earlier in the day.
Humboldt Handweavers and Spinners Guild Program
Wharfinger Building / 6:45-9 p.m. / Free
Guild members will help you learn Kumihimo which is a Japanese braiding technique using a disc.
498-2472 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
AM Jazz Band
Fulkerson Recital Hall / 8-9:30 p.m. / $8 / Free HSU students / $5 seniors, students
Get bluesy with Miles Davis' “All Blues,” Oscar Pettiford’s “Blues in the Closet” and Kenny Dorham’s “Blue Bossa” and more. Directed by Dan Aldag, produced by HSU Music Department.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
I Love You Because
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $10 Thursdays
This musical love story, a co-production with Humboldt Light Opera Company, is a modern-day twist on Jane Austen’s Price and Prejudice, set in New York City.
Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 12:15, 2:40, 6:00, 7:45, 9:20
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 1:50, 5:15, 8:35
- BEARS: 1:00, 3:15, 5:25
- BRICK MANSIONS: 2:10, 4:30, 6:55, 9:25
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- DIVERGENT: 12:50, 6:35
- GOD S NOT DEAD: 2:00
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 12:30, 3:05, 5:40, 8:15
- HAUNTED HOUSE 2: 4:45, 9:45
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 12:35, 3:25, 6:15, 8:45
- NEIGHBORS: 8:00
- OTHER WOMAN: 12:45, 3:35, 6:20, 9:05
- QUIET ONES: 3:55, 9:40
- RIO 2 2D: 12:10, 2:55, 5:35
- TRANSCENDENCE: 3:30, 6:25, 9:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 2:45, 6:00, 9:15
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 4:50, 8:10
- BEARS: 4:20
- BRICK MANSIONS: 4:45, 7:10, 9:30
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 6:05, 9:05
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 3D: 2:55
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 3:15, 5:50
- NEIGHBORS: 8:00
- OTHER WOMAN: 3:35, 6:15, 8:55
- RIO 2 2D: 3:05, 5:40, 8:15
- TRANSCENDENCE: 6:30, 9:20
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 5:20, 8:40
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- LE WEEK-END: 3:40, 6:00, 8:20