Wednesday, May 7, 2014's Lowdown
Cars suck. Remember how you were just complaining how the cost of gas, insurance, tires, tuneups, registration, etc. is keeping you financially enslaved? You know how you’ve been saying you want to exercise more? Well, the stars have aligned to let you know you should be riding a bike more, specifically in that it is Arcata Bike to Work Day (which, I guess it could be everyday)! But here’s why this day is different: Two-wheeled commuters will gather at the Arcata Co-op from 7 to 9 a.m. for free hot drinks and snacks and tuneups from Adventure’s Edge. Then, at noon, there will be a rally on the Arcata Plaza with raffles, snacks and tuneups by Revolution Bicycle Repair.
Don’t live in Arcata? Well we’ll be damned if they aren’t having a similar Bike to Work Day in Eureka next Wednesday. Pump up them tires, relearn your signals and pedal, HumCo!
As far as tonight goes, it's Sci-Fi Pint and Pizza Night up at the Arcata Theatre Lounge. We know you've learned not to get hung up on the plots of the schlock they screen up there. So we'll just calmly embed the trailer to Phantom From Space (1953) below and slowly step away from Wednesday's Lowdown.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Phantom from Space (1953)
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m. / $5
Science fiction film produced and directed by W. Lee Wilder and is a far better film than its lurid title and skintight budget would indicate.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Elk River TMDL Workshop
Fortuna River Lodge / 1 p.m.
The Public Review Draft of the proposed Elk River sediment limits (TMDL’s) will be the subject of a workshop before the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board.
725-7572 / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
Ecological History of Local Coastal Dunes
Arcata Community Center / 6:30-8 p.m. / Free
Presentations about the history of the invasive dune plants European beach grass and yellow bush lupine, and the evolution of the Mad River dune system.
444-1397 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Comedy Showdown
Humboldt Brews / 8 p.m. / $10 / 18+
Local comedians compete for the title “Funniest Person at HumBrews on a Wednesday.” Hosted by Sherae O’Shaughnessy. Profits will be donated to the Campaign to Elect Arnie Klein.
826-2739 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 11:30, 12:15, 2:40, 6:00, 7:45, 9:20
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 1:50, 5:15, 8:35
- BEARS: 1:00, 3:15, 5:25
- BRICK MANSIONS: 2:10, 4:30, 6:55, 7:15, 9:25
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 11:40, 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- DIVERGENT: 12:50, 6:35
- GOD S NOT DEAD: 2:00, 7:00
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 12:30, 3:05, 5:40, 8:15
- HAUNTED HOUSE 2: 4:45, 9:45
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 12:35, 3:25, 6:15, 8:45
- OTHER WOMAN: 12:45, 3:35, 6:20, 9:05
- QUIET ONES: 3:55, 9:40
- RIO 2 2D: 12:10, 2:55, 5:35, 8:10
- TRANSCENDENCE: 3:30, 6:25, 9:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 2:45, 6:00, 9:15
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 4:50, 8:10
- BEARS: 4:20
- BRICK MANSIONS: 4:45, 7:10, 9:30
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 6:05, 9:05
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 3D: 2:55
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 3:15, 5:50, 8:25
- OTHER WOMAN: 3:35, 6:15, 8:55
- RIO 2 2D: 3:05, 5:40, 8:15
- TRANSCENDENCE: 6:30, 9:20
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 5:20, 8:40
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- LE WEEK-END: 3:40, 6:00, 8:20