Thursday, Sept. 4, 2014's Lowdown
A quick perusal of today’s Lowdown listings reveals that Arcata has a virtual monopoly on local Thursday joy:
- Humboldt State University is throwing a free party for returning students (or anyone) featuring music by Birds of Chicago. Watch what they’re bringing to the table in the clip above and then hustle up to HSU’s events field (thing starts at 4 p.m.).
- Before you see SF-based seven-piece genre-straddlers Supermule at the Arcata Playhouse, listen to them on KHUM where they will entertain DJ Larry Trask on his radio programme Awkward Pause at around 3:30 p.m.
- Hey, students! You want to see a fine local band and a fine local DJ? You’re gonna want to roll to Jambalaya for a double shot from the funksters in The Hip Joint and some rotating vinyl circles courtesy of DJ Red. Get to know these people.
- Positive community cohesion will be in abundance, as always, for this month’s Ocean Night at the Arcata Theatre Lounge. September’s featured film is Watermark, “a feature documentary film that brings together diverse stories from around the globe about our relationship with water.” A trailer can be consumed below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
If you can't make it to the Wood Stove Replacement Incentive Grant Announcement, check out Ocean Night, they'll have drinks there [$5 and under award]
Birds of Chicago
Humboldt State University / 4 p.m.
JT Nero and Allison Russell perform on the HSU events field as part of the "Welcome Home to Humboldt Block Party." Food will be provided by Uniquely Yours as will include vegetarian and vegan options.
826-3321 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6:30 p.m. / $3 donation
Screening Watermark, a feature documentary film that brings together diverse stories from around the globe about our relationship with water: how we are drawn to it, what we learn from it, how we use it and the consequences of that use.
822-6918 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Playhouse / 8-11 p.m. / $15 / $13 members
"San Francisco's seven-piece super group raids America’s musical pantry of jazz, bluegrass, classical and rock to concoct a tasty blend of fresh, rootsy ingredients." The group will appear on KHUM around 3:30 p.m.
822-1575 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Farm to School Docent Orienation
Greenway Building Garden / 5-6 p.m.
Volunteers are needed to help lead farm field trips at DeepSeeded Community Farm and Shakefork Community Farm for 2-3rd graders this fall.
826-0233 / firstname.lastname@example.org / View Comments
Wood Stove Replacement Incentive Grant Announcement Deadline
See Event Description / 5 p.m.
443-3093 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
SVP Maurice Tani and Mike Anderson
Palm Lounge at The Eureka Inn / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
"Spirit Vibrations Presents a special night of music. Seasoned musicians Maurice Tani and Mike Anderson make a stop on their way North from SF. While rooted in Country music, Maurice says his writing is more of an urban West Coast perspective. Mike Anderson plays both upright and electric bass."
834-2202 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- AS ABOVE SO BELOW: 12:00, 2:25, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- CALVARY: 12:35, 3:05, 5:40, 8:10
- EXPENDABLES 3: 3:30, 8:50
- GIVER: 1:00, 6:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:15, 6:05, 9:00
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 3:10
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 8:35
- IF I STAY: 12:10, 2:50, 5:30, 8:05
- LET S BE COPS: 1:40, 4:15, 6:50, 9:30
- LUCY: 2:30, 4:55, 7:20, 9:40
- NOVEMBER MAN: 12:50, 3:35, 6:20, 9:05
- SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR 2D: 4:00, 9:20
- SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR 3D: 1:20, 6:40
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 12:00, 1:15, 3:45, 6:15, 8:45
- WHEN THE GAME STANDS TALL: 1:05, 3:50, 6:30, 9:15
Mill Creek Cinema
- EXPENDABLES 3: 2:55, 8:15
- GIVER: 5:45
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 6:05, 9:00
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 3:15
- IF I STAY: 3:25, 5:55, 8:30
- LET S BE COPS: 4:15, 6:50, 9:25
- NOVEMBER MAN: 3:10, 6:00, 8:45
- SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR 2D: 6:35
- SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR 3D: 3:55, 9:15
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 3:50, 6:25, 8:55
- WHEN THE GAME STANDS TALL: 3:35, 6:20, 9:10
- BOYHOOD: 4:25, 8:00
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 3:25, 6:15, 9:00
- MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT: 4:10, 6:40, 9:10