Friday, July 25, 2014's Lowdown
He’s back! Perhaps in response to one LoCO Facebook commenter who suggested he should “turn up the tempo to 200 and then we’ll talk," bandless local bedroom shredder Dylan Wood has posted his second video in as many days in the hopes that fellow musicians will take up arms with him in rawking musical brotherhood.
In the description for his latest video “Here’s Some Higher Tempo Shit,” Wood explains his motivation for today’s aural assault:
“Hella need a drummer. Seriously yo, hit me up on Facebook. Humboldt county Repin”
He means it, you guys. Please see yesterday’s Lowdown for info on how to reach Dylan. This band WILL happen.
As far as Friday night in Humboldt goes, you got your baseball, you got your bluegrass, you got your stand up comedy, you got your old, shiny cars, you got your dance party, you got your local theater, plus bands, bands and more bands. When deciding how to spend this very important night of the week, ask yourself: What would Dylan do?
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Stand Up Comedy All-Stars at the ATL, no question. You get to sit down while they stand up there and crack you up. Nothing better than that! And don't forget, the more you drink, the funnier they are. So drink up.
Fortuna Redwood AutoXpo
Fortuna / 4 p.m.
"Fortuna's biggest and most well-attended event of the season, a car show fueled by vintage rock 'n' roll, pink poodle skirts, white bobby socks, sunglasses and cool cars that are hot!"
Stand Up! Comedy All-Stars
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 8-11 p.m. / $10 / 18+
With comedians David Gborie, Matt Gubser, Johan Miranda, Chris John and Andrew Holmgren.
502-9656 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
The Poor of New York
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $20
Written and premiering in 1857, this play is a melodrama revolving around the efforts of a middle class family, newly impoverished by the financial panic of 1857, to survive against a villainous banker. Benefit for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North Coast.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
Dell'Arte / 8 p.m. / $12 / $10 student/senior
A Dell'Arte Company world premiere. Conceived by Founding Artistic Director Joan Schirle, Elisabeth’s Book imagines the journey of a small Holocaust artifact made in 1944. The story, told mainly through images, movement and music, is inspired by a memoir written by Hungarian survivor Elisabeth Raab.
Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Brews / 9:30 p.m. / $10 / 21+
"California-based roots collective that merges old school bluegrass, gospel, jug-band, swamp blues and the hot swing of the 1930’s to form a spicy roots cocktail."
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Dr. No (1962)
Eureka Theater / 7:30-9:30 p.m.
Part of the Fourth Friday Flix series. "A resourceful government agent seeks answers in a case involving a missing colleague and the disruption of the American space program."
442-2970 / Web site / View Comments
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m.
Christopher Durang takes characters and themes from Chekhov, pours them into a blender and mixes them up.
443-7688 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Wedding Singer
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $16 students/seniors
You've seen that Adam Sandler movie, yeah? Directed by Brandi Lacy, Music Direction by Molly Severdia and featuring Erik Standifird as Robbie, Sasha Shay as Julia, and a large, talented cast from all over the county!
786-5483 / Web site / View Comments
Christopher, Imperial Destructo, The Whiskey Hooves
Clam Beach Inn / 9 p.m.-2 a.m. / $3 / 21+
Much band-age at The Digger.
839-0545 / Web site / View Comments
Funky Dance Party
Jambalaya / 9:30 p.m. / Free / 21+
Jay Morg and King Maxwell host a funk party for the dancers. Seventies breaks, bass-rumble boogie funk and degenerate libertine disco burners are the order of the day.
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 6:20, 9:15
- AMERICA: 12:50, 3:30, 6:10, 8:50
- AND SO IT GOES: 12:55, 3:25, 5:55, 8:25
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 3:00
- EARTH TO ECHO: 11:55, 5:50
- HERCULES 2D: 4:00, 9:10
- HERCULES 3D: 1:25, 6:35
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:10, 3:50
- LUCY: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:05, 2:35, 5:05, 7:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 11:50, 2:00, 4:15, 6:30, 8:45
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:35, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- SEX TAPE: 2:05, 4:30, 7:00, 9:25
- TAMMY: 1:20, 3:45, 6:15, 8:40
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 8:05
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 2:15
Mill Creek Cinema
- AND SO IT GOES: 12:55, 3:25, 5:50, 8:20
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- HERCULES 2D: 1:05, 3:40, 6:15
- HERCULES 3D: 8:50
- LUCY: 11:55, 1:55, 4:20, 6:45, 9:10
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 11:50, 2:00, 4:15, 6:30, 8:40
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:30, 4:05, 6:40, 9:20
- SEX TAPE: 2:10, 4:35, 7:05, 9:30
- TAMMY: 1:10, 3:30, 6:05, 8:30
- BEGIN AGAIN: 1:50, 4:20, 6:50, 9:20
- CHEF: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:25, 3:15, 6:05, 9:00