Thursday, July 24, 2014's Lowdown
To kick off today's Lowdown, we wanna know if anyone in Humboldt wants to start a metal band with Dylan? He just posted the above video to YouTube with the following description:
"Im looking for some decent metal artist. im in Humboldt county cali. Staying frosty and half baked. Hit me up if you're in Humboldt c.a. (530)7392751"
So let him know, OK?
# # #
OK, moving on. With regards to Humboldt's out-and-about options, we'll note that this weekend provides strong evidence of just how much Humboldt overachieves theatrically as there are no less than four productions currently available for your eyeball pleasure. Roll call!:
- The Mad River Festival rolls on with the world premiere of the Dell'Arte-produced Elisabeth's Book, conceived by founding director Joan Shirle. Told through movement, music and imagery, the piece imagines the journey of a book made during the Holocaust in 1944.
- An opening night gala will be held for North Coast Repertory Theatre's latest production titled The Poor of New York. First premiering in 1857, the show is a melodrama revolving around the efforts of a middle class family, newly impoverished by the financial panic of 1857, to survive against a villainous banker.
- Continuing at Redwood Curtain Theatre, Christopher Durang channels Chekhov for Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike. This is a comedy, they say.
- Looking ahead to tomorrow, Ferndale Repertory Theatre courts that all-important theater-going Adam Sandler fanbase with the opening of the musical The Wedding Singer, yes, based on the 1998 film. Whoop-a-dee-doo!
Dell'Arte / 8 p.m. / $12 / $10 student/senior
A Dell'Arte Company world premiere. Conceived by Founding Artistic Director Joan Schirle, Elisabeth’s Book imagines the journey of a small Holocaust artifact made in 1944. The story, told mainly through images, movement and music, is inspired by a memoir written by Hungarian survivor Elisabeth Raab.
Web site / View Comments
The Poor of New York Opening Night Gala
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15
Written and premiering in 1857, this play is a melodrama revolving around the efforts of a middle class family, newly impoverished by the financial panic of 1857, to survive against a villainous banker. Opening night gala that includes a champagne reception after the show.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
The Complete Donor Management Toolkit
See Event Description / 10-11 a.m. / $200 / $175 NorCAN members
Designed to help nonprofits understand how to think about choosing and then implementing the donor management system that best suits their needs.
267-9916 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Food For People Free Cooking Class
Eureka Co-op Community Kitchen / noon-1 p.m.
A local volunteer chef and food bank staff teach the class using food bank items and seasonal produce. Everyone will have the opportunity to try a sample of each dish.
443-6027 / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Curtain Brewing Company / 8-11 p.m. / Free / 21+
"It's a bird, it's a plane...nah it's just some bluegrass music from Arcata."
826-7222 / Raisinggrain@gmail.com / Web site / View Comments
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m.
Christopher Durang takes characters and themes from Chekhov, pours them into a blender and mixes them up.
443-7688 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Logger Bar / 9-11 p.m. / Free / 21+
Rousing mix of klezmer music with other world grooves including gypsy swing, bossa, and Brazilian choro arrangements.
668-5000 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:05, 3:45, 9:20
- AMERICA: 12:50, 3:30, 6:10, 8:50
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 11:55, 1:50, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 4:55, 8:00
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:20, 2:40, 5:10
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 7:40
- HERCULES 2D: 7:00
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 12:15, 2:45, 5:20, 7:55
- LUCY: 8:30
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:05, 2:30, 5:00
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 2:00, 4:15, 6:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 3D: 11:50, 8:40
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:20, 4:00, 6:50, 9:30
- SEX TAPE: 1:40, 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- TAMMY: 12:00, 2:25, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 1:00, 8:10
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 4:35
Mill Creek Cinema
- 22 JUMP STREET: 6:10
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 1:50, 4:55, 8:00
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:50, 3:10, 5:30
- HERCULES 3D: 7:00
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:10, 3:40
- LUCY: 8:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 11:50, 2:00, 4:15, 6:30, 8:40
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:30, 4:05, 6:45, 9:20
- SEX TAPE: 1:25, 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- TAMMY: 2:00, 4:30, 9:30
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 7:50
- BEGIN AGAIN: 4:20, 6:50, 9:20
- CHEF: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00