Thursday, July 17, 2014's Lowdown
(Above: Rooster McClintock play last year's Folklife Fest | AG)
Thursday night's Humboldt scene is full of bands making sounds forged in the very country we happen to live in. Here's a brief rundown of tonight's best venues to feel like you're in America:
- After last night’s majestic Country Roots Night, 2014’s Folklife Festival shifts toward eager for tonight’s Outlaw Country Night. Your local honky tonk hat trick will feature traditionalists Rooster McClintock, the party boys of Cliff Dallas and the Death Valley Troubadours and punkgrass firestarters of Gunsafe. There will be twang.
- Humboldt Brews plays host to some Americana of their own in the form of high-energy bluegrass virtuosos The Infamous Stringdusters. Fill your eyeballs and earholes with the clip for their song “Don’t Mean Nothing” below.
- Sure to make you lose your mind, tribute band Life in the Fast Lane pounds through the hits of The Eagles tonight at Bear River Casino. With two shows — at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. — Humboldt will have ample chance to dance weird weird to “Witchy Woman.”
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
2014 Humboldt Folklife Festival Outlaw Country Night
Dell'Arte / 5:30 p.m.
Get rowdy with local artists Rooster McClintock, Gunsafe and Cliff Dallas and the Death Valley Troubadours.
Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Roller Derby Skater Training Camp
Redwood Acres Fairgrounds / 6-7 p.m. / $150 / 18+
Almost no skating experience is necessary! (We actually need you to be able to stand up and roll around a bit).
445-3037 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Stuffed Animal Sleepover
Trinidad Library / 6-7 p.m. / Free
The evening starts with a story time, and children are encouraged to wear their pajamas. Then around 6:45 p.m., children can tuck their stuffed animals in for a night at the library.
677-0227 / Web site / View Comments
(Re)Debris: A Marine Debris Educational Sculpture
SCRAP Humboldt / 7-8:30 p.m.
A sculpture will be built utilizing trash gathered from beach cleanups and will take the form of a local creature affected by the harms of plastics and other pollution in our oceans.
633-8349 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m.
Christopher Durang takes characters and themes from Chekhov, pours them into a blender and mixes them up.
443-7688 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:05, 3:45, 9:20
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 11:45, 2:10, 5:15, 5:55, 8:20
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 2:50, 9:00
- DELIVER US FROM EVIL: 1:00, 3:50, 6:40, 9:30
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:55, 3:20, 5:45, 8:10
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 12:05, 2:55, 5:40, 8:30
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 3:05, 9:10
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 12:15, 1:10, 2:45, 3:40, 5:20, 7:55
- JERSEY BOYS: 12:00, 6:00
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:00, 2:30, 5:00
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 8:00
- SEX TAPE: 7:00
- TAMMY: 12:10, 3:35, 6:15, 6:20, 8:45, 9:45
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 11:55, 2:40, 6:05
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:20, 4:05, 9:30
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 5:20, 8:20
- DELIVER US FROM EVIL: 12:40, 3:30, 6:20, 9:10
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:50, 3:10, 5:35, 8:00
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 11:55, 2:40, 5:10
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:20, 2:50
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 8:00
- SEX TAPE: 7:00
- TAMMY: 12:10, 3:20, 6:10, 9:20
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 11:45, 5:45, 8:35
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 2:35
- CHEF: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- OBVIOUS CHILD: 3:40, 9:20
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 5:50