Wednesday, July 16, 2014's Lowdown
(Above: A young fan gets bowled over by Huck Flint at last year's Folklife Festival.)
Your Lowdown is calling this a well above-average Humboldt Wednesday. Here is our case:
- Maybe it’s due to the fact that humans like chocolate so much, but Huckleberry Flint don’t play out as often these days. One of the handful of chances to see the multiple time local “Best Band” winners comes your way in the form of tonight’s headlining performance at the Humboldt Folklife Festival’s Country Roots Night in Dell’Arte’s Rooney Amphitheater. Huck Flint shares Wednesday’s bill with local pickers No Good Redwood Ramblers and Raising Grain.
- Fortuna Rodeo Week rolls on with the opening of the annual carnival in Rohner Park — Ferris wheel, Gravitron, the Zipper and greasy curley fries. Great combo. The carnival will remain open for all your nausea needs through Sunday.
- Ha. Humboldt Brews plays host to a midweek yukdown featuring multiple comedians and headlined by raunch veteran Tom Rhodes. Get Rhodes’ take on Presidential dick pics in the Comedy Central clip below. (Spoiler: He is for them.)
Even more potential Wednesday night people clusters in your Lowdown listings below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Fortuna Rodeo Week: Wednesday
Fortuna / noon
Carnival opens at noon. Street game night on Main Street featuring stick horse races, kids' dummy roping and more. Junior Rodeo in the Rodeo grounds.
Web site / View Comments
Pints for Nonprofits
Mad River Brewery Tasting Room / 1-9 p.m. / Free
Celebrate wild and working lands. $1 of every pint will go directly toward the Northcoast Regional Land Trust's important work in land conservation. Music by the Georgia Handshakers.
822-2242 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
2014 Humboldt Folklife Festival Country Roots Night
Dell'Arte / 5:30 p.m.
Featuring Humboldt's finest melody makers, including Huckleberry Flint, No Good Redwood Ramblers and Raising Grain.
Web site / View Comments
Kids, Coins and Piggy Bank Day
Clarke Historical Museum / 11 a.m.-3 p.m. / Free / Free everyone
Children 17 and under are invited to come learn important lessons about money management and history, while having fun with arts and crafts. First 60 children will be able to paint a piggy bank to take home.
443-1947 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Coastal Nature Center / 5-6:30 p.m. / Free
Help maintain the native landscaping around the Nature Center and on the green roof, weeding help is especially needed.
444-1397 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
Open Mic with Mike Anderson
Old Town Coffee And Chocolates / 6:30-9 p.m. / Free
Usually some singer/guitarists, a couple spoken word guys and then that one wildcard oddity that makes you go "hmm."
445-8600 / OldTownCoffeeEureka@yahoo.com / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:05, 3:45, 6:30, 9:20
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 11:45, 2:10, 5:15, 5:55, 8:20
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 2:50, 9:00
- DELIVER US FROM EVIL: 1:00, 3:50, 6:40, 9:30
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:55, 3:20, 5:45, 8:10
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 12:05, 2:55, 5:40, 8:30
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 3:05, 9:10
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 12:15, 1:10, 2:45, 3:40, 5:20, 7:55
- JERSEY BOYS: 12:00, 6:00
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:00, 2:30, 5:00, 7:30
- TAMMY: 12:10, 3:35, 6:15, 6:20, 8:45, 9:45
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 11:55, 2:40, 6:05
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:20, 4:05, 6:50, 9:30
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 5:20, 8:20
- DELIVER US FROM EVIL: 12:40, 3:30, 6:20, 9:10
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:50, 3:10, 5:35, 8:00
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 11:55, 2:40, 5:10, 7:40
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:20, 2:50
- TAMMY: 12:10, 3:20, 6:10, 9:20
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 11:45, 5:45, 8:35
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 2:35
- CHEF: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- OBVIOUS CHILD: 3:40, 9:20
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 5:50