Thursday, Feb. 27's Lowdown
(Jensen, Banton, Foreman = Thursday)
Theater, comedy, environmental lectures and … wait for it … requisite reggae! We officially have an overachieving Humboldt Thursday on our hands! Please allow your Lowdown to break it down:
- By some metic, England-born reggae artist Pato Banton had a number one reggae hit in 1994 with a cover version of "Baby Come Back." Today, Banton comes back to Humboldt (Humboldt Brews, specifically) to spread his particularly positive brand of soul-infused reggae. Stevie Culture opens.
- EPIC is sponsoring an evening with Derrick Jensen in HSU's Kate Buchanan Room. He makes pretty words and is referred to as "the philosopher poet of the ecological movement. Be aware, should you attend that there has been some hubbub on the raised by HSU students on the interwebs about the perceived transphobia of Jensen's group Deep Green Resistance. You can wade through that here.
- Dell'Arte instructor and spiritual leader Ronlin Foreman is resurrecting his an old one-man comedy piece Pigeon Show (A Play of Fools). Word is Dell'Arte alum are excited about this. Maybe you should be too. The show runs through Saturday.
- And finally. if you are not laughed out, Savage Henry Magazine is staging comedy show three of four this week at Six Rivers Brewery tonight with headliners Anthony Sandoval and Bryant Hicks. Christ, you guys. Can we have an occasional serious night?
As always, if you instinctively hate everything we deemed worthy of highlighting, you are free to scroll through the more thorough Lowdown listings farther down. We will not be offended.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Author Derrick Jensen
Kate Buchanan Room / 5-8 p.m. / $10 / $5 Students
The Environmental Protection Information Center hosts "philosopher poet of the ecological movement" Derrick Jensen author of books A Language Older Than Words and Endgame.
822-7711 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Pigeon Show (A Play of Fools)
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 8-9:30 p.m. / $12 / $8 kids 12 and under / $10 student/senior
Dell’Arte’s Ronlin Foreman is remounting his tour de force solo comedy featuring confrontational and poetic physical theatre.
668-5663 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Spinning Into Butter
Gist Theater at HSU / 7:30-9:30 p.m. / $10 / Free limited free seating for HSU students / $8 seniors, students / 18+
"It’s an ordinary autumn day at Belmont College. But when a black student reports a racial hate note pinned to his dormitory room door, everything starts to spin out of control."
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Thrusty Thursday Comedy Night!
Six Rivers Brewery / 7:45-9:30 p.m. / $5 / 21+
Savage Henry Magazine presents a night of standup with performers Anthony Sandoval and Bryant Hicks.
839-7580 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Making God Laugh
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $10
A family comedy that takes place in four scenes, each ten years apart, set at various holidays. Starting in 1980, the kids – a priest, an aspiring actress, and a former star football player – all return home, where we learn of their plans and dreams as they embark on their adult lives.
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 12:35, 3:50, 6:40, 9:10
- ABOUT LAST NIGHT: 1:40, 4:10, 6:45, 9:20
- ENDLESS LOVE: 12:30, 3:10, 5:45, 8:25
- FROZEN 2D: 12:10, 5:20
- I FRANKENSTEIN 2D: 9:25
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 11:55, 1:00, 2:30, 3:55, 5:05, 7:40
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 12:00, 6:20
- LONE SURVIVOR: 2:25, 5:15, 8:10
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- PHILOMENA: 2:45, 8:00
- POMPEII 2D: 1:15, 6:30
- POMPEII 3D: 3:40, 9:00
- RIDE ALONG: 2:20, 4:45, 7:10, 9:35
- ROBOCOP: 12:10, 2:55, 5:50, 8:40
- WINTER S TALE: 12:15, 3:05, 6:05, 8:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- ENDLESS LOVE: 4:10, 6:50, 9:25
- FROZEN 2D: 3:00
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 4:05, 6:40
- LONE SURVIVOR: 5:40, 8:30
- MONUMENTS MEN: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- POMPEII 2D: 6:30
- POMPEII 3D: 3:50, 9:10
- RIDE ALONG: 9:15
- ROBOCOP: 3:05, 5:55, 8:45
- WINTER S TALE: 2:55, 5:45, 8:35
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- HER: 6:10
- PHILOMENA: 3:35, 6:00, 8:25
- WINTER S TALE: 3:25, 9:00