Wednesday, Feb. 5's Lowdown
Look at that! As far as Wednesdays go, this is something of a busy one, now isn't it?:
- Humboldt's 11th most Shazam'd artist Mindy Gledhill will peddle her hauting-yet-highly-adorable songs at the Arcata Playhouse. (Get a sample in the clip below.) The Humboldt-native has had a pretty good month: Insurance giant AAA's Super Bowl ad featured a score performed by Mindy, kind of a big deal. Did you know scoring commercials was a thing? Now you do.
- If you missed out on Devil Makes Three tickets, your rootsy alternative can be found at HumBrews in the form of The Wood Brothers. The group will warm up their harmonies on 104.3/104.7 KHUM's Upstage Live at 6 p.m. if you'd like an ear taste.
- Those saddened by the loss of Nocturnum will be stirred by the resurrection of sorts of Whomp Whomp Wednesday. Henceforth, the whomping will now take place on the sacred checkered floor at Jambalaya.
- Sleeper pick: Has anyone gone to one of these Science on Tap nights at Blondies? This actually sounds pretty cool: sip a pint while an HSU science prof rains knowledge on your dome. Your Lowdown will check this out someday.
Happy humping, HumCo.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Open Mic at the Logger Bar with Lauren Smith. My usual open mic warning here: Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Keep it classy performers. [$5 and under award]
Marion Walker and Phil Kumsar
The Siren's Song Tavern / 8 p.m.
"Angular pop songs that center around personal and narrative lyrics."
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Devil Makes Three (SOLD OUT)
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $30 / $20 HSU students
"Garage-y ragtime, punkified blues, old n’ new timey without settling upon a particular era, inspired as much by mountain music as by Preservation Hall jazz."
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
The Wood Brothers
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m. / $15 / 21+
"Two brothers decide to form a band, adapting the blues, folk and other roots‐music sounds they loved as kids into their own evocative sound and twining their voices in the sort of high‐lonesome harmony blend for which sibling singers are often renowned."
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Pints for Nonprofits
Mad River Brewery Tasting Room / 1-9 p.m.
Music, good company and of course beer, to support CASA of Humboldt. Music by Lyndsey Battle.
443-3197 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Science on Tap
Blondies Food and Drink / 6 p.m.
Dr. Tyler Mitchell from the HSU Physics & Astronomy Department will give an informal lecture entitled "The Diversity of Extrasolar Planets and the Implications for Life."
822-3453 / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m.
Considered by many to be one of the worst films ever made, Eegah! is the story of a gigantic Neanderthal who has managed to survive into modern times living in California’s Mojave desert, and who falls in love with and kidnaps the teenage girl who discovered him in a cave.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
Whomp Grand Opening
Jambalaya / 9:30 p.m. / $5 / 21+
"The guys who brought you Whomp Whomp Wednesday are pleased to reintroduce an essential part of the Humboldt County dance music scene: WHOMP!"
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
- 12 YEARS A SLAVE: 4:45
- AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: 12:10, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- DALLAS BUYERS CLUB: 12:05, 3:00, 5:50, 8:40
- FROZEN 2D: 12:15, 5:35
- FROZEN SING A LONG: 2:50, 8:10
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 1:15
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 7:50
- I FRANKENSTEIN 2D: 2:20, 7:05
- I FRANKENSTEIN 3D: 12:00, 4:40, 9:30
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:15
- LABOR DAY: 12:35, 3:15, 5:55, 8:35
- LONE SURVIVOR: 12:20, 3:10, 6:05, 9:00
- NUT JOB 2D: 2:05, 4:20, 6:35
- NUT JOB 3D: 11:50, 8:45
- RIDE ALONG: 1:55, 4:25, 6:55, 9:25
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 1:40, 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 12:10, 4:05, 8:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- FROZEN 2D: 3:15
- FROZEN SING A LONG: 12:35, 5:25
- GRAVITY 3D: 3:20, 9:00
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 5:35
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- LONE SURVIVOR: 12:15, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- NUT JOB 2D: 1:10, 3:30, 5:45
- NUT JOB 3D: 7:55
- RIDE ALONG: 4:15, 6:45, 9:15
- SAVING MR BANKS: 5:55, 8:45
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 4:30, 7:00, 9:30
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 8:00
- HER: 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- LABOR DAY: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- NEBRASKA: 3:00, 5:40, 8:20