Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014's Lowdown
“The event” in Humboldt County this Saturday is Woofstock — do something nice for your pup, maybe. Lots of other canine butts down at Halvorsen Park for your best friend to investigate.
But after day gives way to evening, the Lowdown listings below lean heavily Arcata. A couple highlights:
- Local funk all-stars will gather at HumBrews for Funk Night for the Maasai, a benefit for the music department at O’Brien School for the Maasai in Tanzania. Riffs and rhythms aplenty will be provided by The GetDown Crew while DJ Rickshaw spins.
- The Arcata Theatre Lounge features a night of standup comedy headlined by Ngaio Bealum. To say that Bealum is a weed comic is not a just a simplified categorization (his Twitter handle is @ngaio420, for one). Sample his stony yuks in the YouTube clip below recorded at the Seattle Hempfest Hemposium.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
I so agree with Larry here! And when the bill comes to the table, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up.
As a third-generation "Rude Boy," where ELSE am I going to be on a Saturday night? Robert Goodman? More like Robert VERYgoodman (or, wait, maybe this is better: "Robert Goodmon").
Mattole Restoration Council Dinner
Mattole Grange / 5:30-11:30 p.m. / $20 / $5 Youth (under 12)
Night of delicious dinner, local brews and great music by the No Good Redwood Ramblers to celebrate 31 years of environmental restoration in the Mattole. Silent auction items donated by our local sponsors. Camping available next door at A.W. Way County Park.
629-3514 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Steel Cage Death Match: Ngaio Bealum vs. Caitlin Gill
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 8-11 p.m. / $10 / 18+
Well, this is standup comedy. There just won’t be an actual cage or any fighting of any kind. But this got your attention, didn't it?!
502-9656 / Web site / View Comments
Funk Night for the Maasai
Humboldt Brews / 8 p.m. / 21+
"Instrumental Flight is throwing a Benefit for the O'Brien School for the Maasai in Tanzania. Live music from the GetDown Crew and DJ Rickshaw with The Klaw before Rickshaw spins the funk dance party til close with a Marmalade Sky light show. You will hear some Jerry!"
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Coastal Nature Center Restoration
Humboldt Coastal Nature Center / 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Help restore the Friends of the Dunes property by removing invasive plants. Tools and gloves provided, bring water and wear work clothes.
444-1397 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Third Annual Kinetic Carnivale
Mendocino County Museum / 10 a.m.-7 p.m. / $10 / $35 Grand Ball Tickets / Free Kids 12 & Under / $10 Adults / $5 Students (13-18) / $5 Seniors (65+)
Wide variety of steam and travel-related activities; displays of art cars and kinetic sculptures; craft and food vendors; the Grand Ball - a highly anticipated evening of fun and fantasy; Handcar Races featuring creatively designed kinetic vehicles on paired tracks.
459-2736 / Info@KineticCarnivale.com / Web site / View Comments
Babies at the Library
Trinidad Library / 11 a.m.-noon / Free
Bring your baby, aged 3 months to 2 years, to the library for songs, rhymes and playtime. It's a baby and parent meet-up in a book-filled environment.
677-0227 / Web site / View Comments
Firefighter Fun Day
Clarke Historical Museum / noon-3 p.m. / Free / $3 hot dogs
Children of all ages are invited to come learn important lessons about fire safety and history, while having fun with “make and take” arts and crafts.
443-1947 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Good Dog, Thieves, Cainfields
Willow Creek / 2-9 p.m. / $15 / $35 families / $25 couples
A day of EastHum bands in the Gambi Amphitheater at the China Creek Cottages.
677-3468 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Family Arts Day
Morris Graves Museum of Art / 2-5 p.m. / $5 / Free MGMA members/ Children 17 and Under / $2 Seniors/Students
Summer art projects for the whole family.
442-0278 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Storyteller Paul Woodland
Headwaters Forest Reserve / 3-4 p.m. / Free
Paul Woodland, storyteller and naturalist will present the wit, whimsy and wonders of natures stories.
825-2300 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
August Open House
Studio 299 Center for the Arts / 5-8 p.m. / Free
Watercolors by Renate Walker and colorful abstracts by Patricia Reeb will be on display this month at the Willow Creek gallery.
530-629-3488 / email@example.com / View Comments
Plays In The Park: A Midsummer Night's Dream
Redwood Park / 7 p.m. / $12 / $10 Pre-sale
Shakespeare's classic comedy about love, mischief and magic at the old forest stage among the beautiful Redwoods of the Arcata Community Forest.
822-7091 / Web site / View Comments
How Can I Keep From Singing?
Humboldt Unitarian Universalist Fellowship / 7-9 p.m. / Free
An evening of songs of peace and justice. Proceeds from refreshment will benefit Veterans for Peace.
822-3793 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Van Duzer Theater / 7:30 p.m.
Flash back to the Roaring '20s with Humboldt Light Opera Company. When a Kansas girl comes to the Big Apple, she encounters flappers, working girls and millionaires in disguise as she ventures from high rises to the New York speakeasy scene.
822-1318 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Poor of New York
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15
Written and premiering in 1857, this play is a melodrama revolving around the efforts of a middle class family, newly impoverished by the financial panic of 1857, to survive against a villainous banker.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
The Wedding Singer
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $16 students/seniors
You've seen that Adam Sandler movie, yeah? Directed by Brandi Lacy, Music Direction by Molly Severdia and featuring Erik Standifird as Robbie, Sasha Shay as Julia, and a large, talented cast from all over the county!
786-5483 / Web site / View Comments
Selector Rotten's Rocksteady Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m.-1 a.m. / 21+
He started DJ'ing in the early 90's at the British Dominion Pub Social Club in Orange County. Now he is here.
826-9463 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Galactic Terrapin and Bizarre Bazaar Burmingham Funraiser
Jambalaya / 9 p.m. / 21+
This is a fundraiser for ... something, we're not sure.
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:05, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GET ON UP: 1:55, 5:10, 8:20
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:40, 3:35, 6:30, 9:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 2:40, 5:35, 8:30
- HERCULES 2D: 2:20, 4:40, 7:05, 9:30
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:05, 3:45
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 12:00, 2:55, 5:50, 8:40
- INTO THE STORM: 12:00, 2:15, 4:35, 7:00, 9:20
- LUCY: 12:20, 2:30, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 12:05, 2:25
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 6:15, 8:45
- STEP UP ALL IN 2D: 3:55, 9:15
- STEP UP ALL IN 3D: 1:15, 6:35
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 11:55, 2:45, 6:20
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3D: 12:10, 8:55
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 4:45, 8:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:05, 3:00, 6:00, 8:55
- GET ON UP: 1:55, 5:15, 8:30
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:30, 2:40, 3:20, 6:15, 8:20, 9:10
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 5:30
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 11:55, 2:50, 5:45, 8:40
- INTO THE STORM: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- LUCY: 12:15, 2:30, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 3:50, 6:25
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3D: 1:15, 9:00
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:30, 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 12:55, 3:40, 6:25, 9:10
- MOST WANTED MAN: 12:20, 3:05, 5:50, 8:35