Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013's Lowdown
It would appear that Mad River Summerfest organizers failed to cross some "t"s and/or dot some "i"s on important insurance papers forcing the first night of the event to be canceled. As of Saturday morning it is still unclear whether any of the bands scheduled to play at Christie's Ranch today will go on. Stay tuned to this page on your Lost Coast Outpost as updates become available.
(UPDATE 10:15 a.m.: Yeah, Summerfest is totally dead now.)
But it's not like there aren't other things to do in HumCo this fine Saturday. The annual UFO freak-magnet that is Bridgefest is goin' down out the 36 in Bridgeville. For those that want to see people dressed like aliens throwing lovingly constructed "flying saucers" off a bridge, it's really the only place to go.
A bittersweet edition of Soul Night will play out at HumBrews tonight. The evening acts as a sendoff for DJ Brian "Mantease" Woida, who's making the trek south to the Bay Area. Lame!, but OK.
Of course, the Humboldt Country Fair continues in Ferndale. That and more below in Saturday's Lowdown.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Humboldt County Fair
Humboldt County Fairgrounds / 9 a.m.
This year is the 117th annual event. Features live and satellite horse racing, mule racing, carnival rides and games, death defying stunts, live entertainment, competitive exhibits, livestock events, great fair-time foods and special programs.
Web site / View Comments
17th Annual BridgeFest
Old Bridgeville Bridge / 10-5 a.m. / Free
There comes a time in this galaxy when all intergalactic species must meet. A time to touch antennae and, of course, an opportunity to demonstrate the agility and new advances made in our flying saucer technology. This is it. (Oh, this is a UFO Festival, if you don't already know.)
777-7775 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Mad River Summerfest
Christie Ranch / 10 a.m.-midnight / $5 / $15 w/camping
With performances by Earl Thomas, Steve Culture and Ishi Dube, Motherlode, The Fickle Hillbillies, Lord Ellis, No Good Redwood Ramblers and many more. Proceeds benefit Mad River Alliance.
Web site / View Comments
Late: A Cowboy Song
Redwood Park / 7 p.m.
Part of Plays in the Park. Mary finds herself caught between her childhood sweetheart Crick, and the cowboy Red. As Crick pulls her in with marriage and a baby, Red gives her the freedom of the open fields and friendship.
Web site / View Comments
The Tale of the Allergist's Wife
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 students/seniors
Follows the story of Marjorie Taub, the wife of a philanthropic allergist, who is engulfed in a life crisis of Medea-like proportions.
Arcata Police Department Public Safety Fair
Arcata Police Department / 10 a.m.-2 p.m. / Free
Department facility tours, \equipment/vehicle displays including APD Mobile Command Vehicle and antique APD police car, police K-9 meet and greet with live demonstrations, APD park ranger visit, barbecue hot dogs with all the fixings and more.
822-2428 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Quilt Bed Turning Event
Clarke Historical Museum / noon
What is a “bed turning”? Often held at quilt shows and guild meetings, quilters perform bed turnings to share stories about quilts and their experience of making them.
Van Duzer Theater / 7:30 p.m. / $19 / $13 balcony
Humboldt Light Opera Company (HLOC) presents flying dragons, catchy tunes, flashy dance numbers, irreverent romance, and dozens of your favorite fairytale creatures together on stage
445-4310 / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Curtain Brewing Company / 8 p.m.-midnight / Free
"When I asked Mike from the Georgia Handshakers what kind of music they play, he replied 'dirty Georgia jazz and country.' What is that exactly?" -RCB
826-7222 / Web site / View Comments
Logger Bar / 8:30 p.m. / Free
The ever-mysterious six-piece house band throws down it's juju and zulu mumbo jumbo of musical question marks, just like the the mysterians of old. A half hour version of In the Year 2525?
668-5000 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- 2 GUNS: 1:25, 4:05, 6:45, 9:25
- CONJURING: 6:50, 9:30
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:50, 4:20
- ELYSIUM: 12:40, 3:25, 6:15, 9:00
- JOBS: 12:20, 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- KICK-ASS 2: 1:35, 4:15, 7:00, 9:40
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 11:55, 3:00, 6:05, 9:10
- PARANOIA: 1:15, 4:00, 6:40, 9:20
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 2D: 12:50, 6:10
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 3D: 3:30, 8:45
- PLANES 2D: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 6:55
- PLANES 3D: 9:05
- RED 2: 5:45, 8:30
- SMURFS 2 2D: 12:30, 3:15
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:00, 3:45, 6:30, 9:15
- WOLVERINE 2D: 2:10, 5:15, 8:20
- ELYSIUM: 12:10, 2:35, 5:00, 7:25, 9:50
- JOBS: 12:30, 3:45, 6:50, 9:35
- KICK-ASS 2: 1:40, 4:35, 7:15, 9:40
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS: 1:20, 4:10, 6:45, 9:20
- PLANES: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:00, 9:15
- WE'RE THE MILLERS: 1:30, 4:25, 7:05, 9:45
Mill Creek Cinema
- ELYSIUM: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- JOBS: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 8:35
- KICK-ASS 2: 1:20, 4:00, 6:40, 9:20
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- PARANOIA: 1:05, 3:40, 6:15, 8:50
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 2D: 12:45, 6:05
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 3D: 3:30, 8:40
- PLANES 2D: 12:55, 3:20, 5:50, 8:15
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:30, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- ELYSIUM: 1:00, 3:35, 6:10, 8:45
- JOBS: 12:45, 3:25, 6:15, 9:05
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:20, 3:55, 6:35, 9:15