Sunday, Oct. 27, 2013's Lowdown
If you're not watching horror movies in October, you're doing it wrong. And while we know you all have 1080p plasmas at this point, it might be fun to sit in a room of strangers and watch a mooo-veee, right? Right?
Hmm. Well if you bought that, head on down to North Coast Repertory Theatre Sunday night for a screening of the horror classic Night of the Living Dead (trailer above), which was really the first zombie movie evah -- go pay your respects, Walking Dead nuts.
And if you're like, "I've got kids! I can't show them that schlock!" we'll point out they're showing Monsters, Inc. at the Arcata Theatre Lounge. Surely, no nightmares can come from that movie about the nightmare industry. Your kids little brains will be safe. -AG
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Trivia Night at 6 Rivers. Here is some help: Abraham Lincoln could make a cat laugh.
Birdwatching is the prog-rock of nature hobbies, what with the methodical bird logs and socio-psychology.
Humboldt Bay Boat Tours
Humboldt Baykeeper / 9-10:30 a.m.
Humboldt Baykeeper offers free natural history boat tours of the north Humboldt Bay at 9 and 10:30 a.m. Call for details.
268-8897 / View Comments
Spooky Dune Tour
Humboldt Coastal Nature Center / 1-3 p.m.
Come dressed in costume and bring a trick or treat bag, or a t-shirt to make into a bag! Be prepared for a short hike in the sand.
444-1397 / Web site / View Comments
Journey to Planet Possible
The Jefferson Project / 1-6 p.m. / $5
Get your imagination caps on, and jump into a rocket ship with the artists and puppeteers from the Ink People Center for the Arts. Guided tours leave every few minutes to other worlds where travelers will talk to robots, crawl through an underwater maze, pet strange aliens and more.
442-8413 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 2 p.m. / $10
Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the very first production of Thornton Wilder's Pulitzer Prize winning play.
786-5483 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Young Frankenstein: The Musical!
Gist Hall, HSU / 2-4 p.m. / $15 / $10 students & seniors / 18+
It’s alive! And it dances! Get ready for Halloween with the scary, sexy and very silly HSU production of Mel Brooks’ classic.
826-3928 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 11:55, 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- CARRIE: 2:05, 4:35, 7:10, 9:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:35, 4:00, 6:25
- COUNSELOR: 1:00, 3:40, 6:20, 9:05
- DON JON: 12:40, 6:00, 9:35
- ENOUGH SAID: 1:25, 3:55, 6:15, 8:40
- ESCAPE PLAN: 12:35, 3:30, 6:30, 9:20
- FIFTH ESTATE: 3:00, 8:20
- GRAVITY 2D: 2:00, 6:45
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:45, 3:10, 4:20, 5:35, 8:00, 9:10
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 1:15, 2:15, 3:45, 4:40, 6:05, 7:05, 8:30, 9:30
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 8:50
- WIZARD OF OZ 3D: 12:00, 2:25, 4:50, 7:15
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:10, 5:20, 8:30
- CARRIE: 1:25, 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:00, 3:25, 5:50
- COUNSELOR: 12:40, 3:20, 6:05, 8:45
- ESCAPE PLAN: 12:50, 3:35, 6:15, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 2:20, 9:20
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:00, 4:40, 7:00
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:10, 8:20, 9:30
- WIZARD OF OZ 3D: 12:35, 3:10, 5:40, 8:10
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:30, 5:35, 8:40
- FIFTH ESTATE: 2:40, 5:45, 8:50
- GRAVITY 2D: 2:20, 4:40, 7:00, 9:20