Friday, July 19's Lowdown
Look, we can understand if you're not big on rodeo. It's not for everyone. But if you have complaints about how rodeo animals are treated -- a topic totally legit and up for discussion -- we will submit to you that, at least at the Fortuna Rodeo, the humans allow themselves to be punished for entertainment purposes too.
That's right, kids. Friday night in Fortuna is Motorsports Night in the rodeo grounds which means one thing: QUADIATORS. Do you like Mario Kart? Pain? This is for you.
If you're new to town let us explain. Tonight at the Fortuna Rodeo Grounds, teams of two will mount ATVs. One teammate will be the designated driver (not in the traditional sense, but we assume they will be sober) while the other stands on the back equipped with a whiffle ball bat and with a balloon taped securely to their helmet. You with us so far? Multiple teams will then proceed to drive in a circle simultaneously and attempt to pull close enough to their competitors to allow for bat-induced balloon popping, i.e. their swinging bats at each other's (helmeted) heads. Last balloon standing wins. There are multiple heats. Eventually, a champion is crowned.
This is known as fun.
Does all the swinging bats at your fellow human ever lead to actual, heated altercations? Oh, hell yeah. Best of all, we know that the Fortuna Rodeo folks won't even get mad at us for mentioning it -- they feature a video of a Quadiator-related brawl right on their website. (This could happen again, folks! Come on down!)
Anywho, that's goin' down tonight. Also Friday, the toe-tappin' joy at the Folklife Festival Barn Dance in Arcata, Grandmothers of Invention deftly handling Zappa pieces at HumBrews and the first night of the Northern Nights Music Festival. Get Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Fortuna Rodeo Week
Fortuna / noon
Motorsports Night features motocross jumper Julian Dusseau, ATV and Rhino racing and, of course, the wow,-someone-thought-of-that spectacle that is Quadiators.
Web site / View Comments
The Heir Apparent
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15
Modern comic genius David Ives adapts Jean-Francois Regnard’s 1708 masterpiece, wherein Eraste desperately wants to marry Isabelle, but first he needs to secure an inheritance from his miserable old uncle, Geronte.
- CONJURING: 1:15, 4:00, 6:45, 9:30
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 12:35, 3:15, 5:50, 8:25
- GROWN UPS 2: 12:25, 1:50, 3:05, 4:30, 5:40, 7:05, 8:15, 9:40
- LONE RANGER: 12:45, 4:15, 7:50
- PACIFIC RIM 2D: 1:35, 3:00, 4:40, 7:45, 9:00
- PACIFIC RIM 3D: 12:00, 6:00
- RED 2: 12:30, 3:25, 6:15, 9:05
- RIPD IN 2D: 2:30, 7:20
- RIPD IN 3D: 12:05, 4:55, 9:45
- THE HEAT: 12:50, 3:40
- TURBO 2D: 12:20, 5:30
- TURBO 3D: 2:50, 8:00
- WORLD WAR Z 2D: 1:00, 3:50, 6:40, 9:30
- DESPICABLE ME 2: 12:00, 2:25, 4:45, 7:00, 9:20
Mill Creek Cinema
- CONJURING: 1:15, 4:00, 6:40, 9:20
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 12:20, 2:55, 5:35, 8:00
- GROWN UPS 2: 12:55, 3:30, 6:10, 8:50
- PACIFIC RIM 2D: 3:00, 9:00
- PACIFIC RIM 3D: 12:00, 6:00
- RED 2: 12:00, 2:45, 5:30, 8:25
- RIPD IN 2D: 3:50, 8:40
- RIPD IN 3D: 1:25, 6:15
- THE HEAT: 12:50, 3:40, 6:25, 9:10
- TURBO 2D: 12:45, 5:50
- TURBO 3D: 3:20, 8:20
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 3:35, 5:55, 8:15
- GROWN UPS 2: 4:25, 6:50, 9:15
- RIPD IN 2D: 4:40, 7:05, 9:30