Monday's Lowdown: If You Don't Want to Watch Football ...
Just by sheer numbers, the most Humboldt eyeballs will undoubtedly be drawn to tonight's BCS Championship game -- that's college football, if you're wondering -- between Auburn and Florida State. More bars than not will be pumping those sporty images at their patrons, but we'll note here in Lowdown land that watching foosball on the giant screen at Arcata Theatre Lounge is actually highly enjoyable.
On the other hand, if sports make you yawn, let your Lowdown make an alternative suggestion: Humboldt County's most ambitious songwriter John Ludington (pictured) will act as Monday night's savior by spilling his genius into the ears assembled at Siren's Song Tavern. He'll be joined by New York alt/folk posse Hieronymous Bogs.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Improve Comedy Workshop? Seriously? You should do that. Learn a party skill everyone could benefit from.
Oooooo!! Improv comedy workshop?! More like Your Face Will Hurt From Laughing workshop. Arcata Playhouse, all the way.
Local treasure John Ludington tonight at the Siren's Song Tavern in Eureka. He's joined by some other guy with a long stage name. But he's from New York. [$5 and under award]
John Ludington, Hieronymus Bogs
The Siren's Song Tavern / 8:30 p.m.
Alternative Humboldt songwriter Ludington shares a bill with eccentric New York alt/folk band.
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
College of the Redwoods Community Education / 5:30-9:30 p.m. / $45 / 18+
This course is designed to introduce the participant to time management principles and specific tools that assist in making maximum use of time. Emphases will be placed on how to prioritize, identifying time wasters, and goal setting.
269-4000 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Improv Comedy Workshop
Arcata Playhouse / 7 p.m. / $100
4-week introduction to improvisation and comedy. Game-based or “short form” improv in the style of Whose Line Is It, Anyway? will be the focus.
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
- 47 RONIN 2D: 3:10, 9:05
- 47 RONIN 3D: 12:15, 6:05
- AMERICAN HUSTLE: 2:10, 5:25, 8:40
- ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES: 12:35, 3:30, 6:25, 9:20
- FROZEN 2D: 12:00, 2:35, 5:15, 7:50
- GRUDGE MATCH: 12:55, 3:40, 6:30, 9:15
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 1:20, 8:30
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 4:55
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 1:50, 5:05, 8:20
- JUSTIN BIEBER S BELIEVE: 7:30, 9:35
- PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES: 12:20, 2:35, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- SAVING MR BANKS: 11:55, 2:55, 5:55, 8:55
- SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY: 12:05, 2:50, 5:40, 8:35
- WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 2D: 1:00, 3:15, 5:30
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 12:10, 4:05, 8:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- 47 RONIN 2D: 3:15, 9:10
- 47 RONIN 3D: 6:10
- AMERICAN HUSTLE: 5:35, 8:45
- ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES: 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- FROZEN 2D: 3:00
- GRUDGE MATCH: 3:50, 6:35, 9:20
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 4:20
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 8:00
- PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES: 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY: 3:00, 5:45, 8:30
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 3:55, 7:50
- AMERICAN HUSTLE: 5:20, 8:30
- SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY: 3:30, 6:15, 9:00
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 4:10, 8:00