Sunday, Feb. 16's Lowdown
This could be tough. It's not often Humboldt has two curly, redhead-enhanced events to choose from, but by golly Sunday evening you'll have to choose between real-life and computer generated rockin' ringlets.
In one corner is Merida, star of the 2012 Pixar fantasy Brave (2012), a film about a princess who defies her kingdom's age-old customs by refusing to be betrothed. The image above suggests that at some point she shoots a bow and arrow. (LoCO has not seen this movie, but that seems like a safe bet, archery fans.) The film is showing at the Arcata Theatre Lounge, meaning this is a rare chance to put a check mark in the "take the kids to the movies" box while simultaneously numbing your senses with beer. Little victories.
In the other corner we have Jessica McGuinty, owner of local hair product phenomenon Jessicurl and also one of the Lowdown's many beloved disembodied heads (see below). She, along with the fine folks from Skin Illustrations Tattoo, will be the presenters at tonight's Meet the Humboldt Maker event at the Humboldt Bay Tourism Center in Old Town. And get this! According to McGuinty, if you agree to get a tattoo of the Jessicurl logo on your temple, you'll get a year's supply of Jessicurl products. That's a good deal, right? RIGHT?!?
Happy Sabbath. Choose your redhead wisely.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
I 100000% promise you'll have fun if you go to the Humboldt Bay Tourism Center's Meet The Maker event with Jessicurl (ha) and Skin Illustration Tattoo. I also 100000% promise I'm required to be there and say that. But for reals though! It'll be fun and you could win a free tattoo! And free Jessicurl products! You should totally take my word on this.
Women's Self Defence Class
North Coast Self Defense Academy / 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. / $5
Providing knowledge and tools to deal with the potential of a dangerous attack.
200-8329 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Morris Graves Museum of Art / 2-4:30 p.m. / $5 / $2 Seniors/ Students w/ ID / Free MGMA members/ Kids 17 and under
Local trio performing traditional jazz standards.
442-0278 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
4 Episodes, 4 Weeks
The Siren's Song Tavern / 5:45 p.m.
Season one of the Kinetic Paranormal Society's ongoing puppet show weirdness.
442-8778 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m. / $5
An impetuous princess discovers that her reckless choice has put both her family and her father’s kingdom in peril in this animated adventure from Pixar films.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
- ABOUT LAST NIGHT: 1:35, 4:05, 6:40, 9:15
- AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: 2:15, 5:10, 8:05
- ENDLESS LOVE: 12:35, 3:10, 5:45, 8:25
- FROZEN 2D: 1:30, 4:10
- I FRANKENSTEIN 2D: 7:15
- I FRANKENSTEIN 3D: 2:35
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 11:55, 12:55, 2:30, 5:05, 6:05, 7:40
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 12:00, 3:30, 8:40
- LONE SURVIVOR: 2:20, 5:20, 8:15
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- RIDE ALONG: 1:55, 4:25, 6:55, 9:25
- ROBOCOP: 12:30, 3:20, 6:15, 9:05
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 4:55, 9:35
- VAMPIRE ACADEMY: 6:50, 9:30
- WINTER S TALE: 12:10, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- ENDLESS LOVE: 1:20, 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- FROZEN 2D: 1:50, 4:30
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 12:20, 2:55, 5:30
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 8:00
- LONE SURVIVOR: 1:05, 6:30
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:30, 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- RIDE ALONG: 1:40, 4:15, 6:45, 9:15
- ROBOCOP: 12:10, 3:05, 5:55, 8:45
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 7:05, 9:30
- VAMPIRE ACADEMY: 3:55, 9:20
- WINTER S TALE: 12:00, 2:45, 5:40, 8:30
- HER: 12:20, 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- PHILOMENA: 12:55, 3:20, 5:50, 8:15
- WINTER S TALE: 12:45, 3:30, 6:15, 9:00