Wednesday, July 3, 2013's Lowdown
Now, no one is going to force you to immerse yourself in the over-two-week-long Zeltsman Marimba Festival. Maybe xylophones on steroids aren't your thing. But, dagnabbit, we better not hear any Humboldtians complaining that there's never any good marimba shows in this town after this. You'll earn a Robin-slap for that kinda lip.
Yes, the mallets will be flying in the coming days with multiple shows at both the Arcata Playhouse and HSU's Native Forum featuring over 50 performers from all over the world. For more on the festival, check out their website or the North Coast Journal's in-depth piece on its many facets. Below, find the schedule of remaining world class marimba shows in your neighborhood.
- July 3 - Expressive Complexity Concert in the Native Forum: Pedro Carneiro and Mike Truesdell play the music of Steven Snowden, Toru Takemitzu and others.
- July 5 - Modes and Grooves Concert at the Arcata Playhouse: Nancy Zeltsman and Fumito Nunoya play the music of Paul Simon, Suzanne Vega, Duke Ellington and others.
- July 6 - Jazz and More Concert at the Arcata Playhouse: Christos Rafalides and Petros Klampanis play the music of Frank Zappa, Nigel Westlake and others.
- July 8 - Participants Concert in the Native Forum: Ensemble plays the music of Derek Tywoniuk, Daniel Levitan and others.
- July 11 - East and West Concert in the Native Forum: Erin Lesser and Greg Beyer play the music of Andrew Frank, Toru Takemitsu and others.
- July 12 - North and South Concert in the Native Forum: Javier Nandayapa, Fumito Nunoya and the Joint Venture Percussion Duo play the music of Kevin Bobo, Maurice Raval and others.
- July 13 - Marathon Concert in the Native Forum: Four hour long concert features the music of Carl Schimmel, Emil Handjiev, Glenn Kotche and others -- audience members free to come and go.
So much marimba! Less so in your Wednesday Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m.
Science Fiction Pint and Pizza Night. See a mighty city trampled to destruction! See missiles and atom bombs powerless! See civilization rioting with fear!
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Under the Sea Dance Party
Arcata Playhouse / 7 p.m. / $5
Music by Humboldt Free Radio Alliance DJs, The Tweeners, Blood Gnome and more. All proceeds go to North Star Quest Camp.
562-964-9213 / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die, Dads, Pity Sex
Ink Annex / 7-10 p.m. / $7
252-619-4555 / Web site / View Comments
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 11:55, 12:35, 3:15, 5:05, 5:50, 8:25
- DESPICABLE ME 2 3D: 2:30, 7:40
- LONE RANGER: 12:45, 2:00, 4:15, 5:30, 7:50, 9:00
- MAN OF STEEL 2D: 1:30, 8:10
- MAN OF STEEL 3D: 4:50
- MONSTERS UNIVERSITY 2D: 11:50, 1:10, 2:55, 5:20, 6:45
- MONSTERS UNIVERSITY 3D: 8:35
- NOW YOU SEE ME: 6:30, 6:40
- THE HEAT: 12:20, 1:15, 3:10, 4:05, 6:00, 6:55, 8:50, 9:40
- THIS IS THE END: 9:20
- WHITE HOUSE DOWN: 12:00, 12:50, 3:00, 3:45, 6:10, 9:15
- WORLD WAR Z 2D: 2:35, 3:55, 5:40, 8:05, 9:30
- WORLD WAR Z 3D: 12:05
- EPIC: 6:30
Mill Creek Cinema
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 12:20, 2:15, 2:55, 5:35, 7:25, 8:10, 9:40
- DESPICABLE ME 2 3D: 11:45, 4:55
- LONE RANGER: 2:00, 5:25, 8:50
- MAN OF STEEL 2D: 1:40, 5:00, 8:20
- MONSTERS UNIVERSITY 2D: 11:40, 1:00, 3:05, 6:35
- MONSTERS UNIVERSITY 3D: 8:30
- THE HEAT: 12:30, 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- THIS IS THE END: 9:30
- WHITE HOUSE DOWN: 12:50, 3:50, 6:50
- WORLD WAR Z 2D: 12:10, 3:45, 9:20
- WORLD WAR Z 3D: 5:45
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 3:30, 6:00, 8:30
- LONE RANGER: 4:55, 8:15
- WORLD WAR Z 2D: 3:55, 6:35, 9:15