Sunday, July 28, 2013's Lowdown
As we've mentioned a few times this week, this is the last weekend of the Humboldt Crabs regular season so get to the Arcata Ballpark on Sunday to get a dose of baseball joy. There's also the annual Blackberry Festival up in Westhaven if you dig on pie.
Elsewhere, tonight the Arcata Theatre Lounge is screening Disney's considered-classic Peter Pan from 1953. What's changed in the past 60 years since the film was released? Well, can you fathom the fairly insensitive song (featured above) "What Makes The Red Man Red?" being casually included in children's entertainment in 2013? It's hard to imagine. Should you take the kids, maybe this could be a teachable moment for your kids on stereotypes and the progress society is capable of making over time. Maybe not. Lyrics below to help you decide:
Why does he ask you, "How?"
Once the Injun didn't know all the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot and it's all from asking, "How?"
Hana Mana Ganda, Hana Mana Ganda ... we translate for you
Hana means what mana means and ganda means that too
When did he first say, "Ugh!"
In the Injun book it say when the first brave married squaw
He gave out with a big "ugh" when he saw his Mother-in-Law
What made the red man red?
Let's go back a million years to the very first Injun prince
He kissed a maid and start to blush and we've all been blushin' since
Now you've got it from the head man
The real true story of the red man
No matter what's been written or said
Now you know why the red man's red!
Your call, HumCo. Other Sunday options in your Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Fortuna Redwood AutoXpo
Fortuna / 9 a.m.
Fueled by vintage rock 'n' roll, pink poodle skirts, white bobby socks, sunglasses and cool cars. Check the Fortuna Redwood AutoXpo's website for complete schedule.
Web site / View Comments
Westhaven Blackberry Festival
Westhaven Fire Hall / 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Annual fundraiser for the Westhaven Volunteer Fire Department features fresh baked blackberry and huckleberry pies, ice cream, barbecue hamburgers, beer and wine.
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 2 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
Ferndale Rep presents the story of a penniless soprano, named Victoria, colludes with a struggling gay impresario to disguise herself as a man named Victor, who entertains as a female impersonator known as "Victoria" - and as a result becomes the toast of Paris.
786-5483 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
- CONJURING: 1:15, 4:00, 6:45, 9:30
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 12:35, 3:15, 5:50, 8:25
- GROWN UPS 2: 12:20, 3:05, 5:40, 8:15
- LONE RANGER: 12:40, 4:15, 7:50
- PACIFIC RIM 2D: 3:25, 9:00
- PACIFIC RIM 3D: 11:50, 5:10
- RED 2: 12:30, 3:30, 6:15, 9:05
- RIPD IN 2D: 2:30, 7:20, 9:40
- RIPD IN 3D: 12:05, 4:55
- THE HEAT: 12:50, 3:40, 6:30, 9:20
- TURBO 2D: 12:55, 2:45, 6:25
- TURBO 3D: 8:10
- WOLVERINE 2D: 11:55, 3:00, 6:05, 9:10
- WOLVERINE 3D: 1:40, 4:50, 8:00
- WORLD WAR Z 2D: 1:00, 3:50, 6:40, 9:25
Mill Creek Cinema
- CONJURING: 1:15, 4:00, 6:40, 9:20
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 12:20, 2:55, 5:30, 8:00
- GROWN UPS 2: 1:05, 3:40, 6:15, 8:50
- PACIFIC RIM 2D: 3:00, 6:10, 9:00
- PACIFIC RIM 3D: 12:10
- RED 2: 12:00, 2:45, 5:40, 8:30
- RIPD IN 2D: 3:55, 8:45
- RIPD IN 3D: 1:30, 6:20
- TURBO 2D: 12:45, 5:50
- TURBO 3D: 3:20, 8:20
- WOLVERINE 2D: 12:00, 6:00
- WOLVERINE 3D: 3:10, 9:10
- RIPD IN 2D: 2:05, 4:30, 6:55, 9:20
- THE WAY WAY BACK: 1:40, 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- WOLVERINE 2D: 2:30, 5:30, 8:30