Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2014's Lowdown
If you can navigate your vehicle through Humboldt’s coastal fog, here’s your Lowdown’s suggested hops-heavy Tuesday itinerary which you can either accept or meh:
- Humboldt Beer Week chugs along. A most notable Tuesday gathering occurs at The Local Beer Bar in Eureka where they will be featuring 11 brews aged in barrels. That’s some Friar Tuck biz, right there.
- After that joy, safely maneuver the safety corridor on your way to drink more beer, this time with enviros at the Arcata Theatre Lounge where EPIC is hosting the Wild and Scenic Film Festival. The event features screenings of a handful of short, environmentally minded films, produced both locally and in far off lands. Included in the mix is the film Damocracy (2013), a trailer of which can be viewed below.
- Head back to E-town (maybe take a cab at this point) to end your Tuesday Brewsday at The Siren’s Song Tavern with more suds and a triple shot of band, specifically Humboldt’s own drone-y dune worshippers White Manna, Seattle’s proggish Midday Veil, and Portland’s psyched-out Swahili.
After all that it will essentially be Wednesday and your Lowdown need to concoct another road map with which to wear you out anew. Sober up and refer back.
Wild and Scenic Film Festival
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6-9 p.m. / $10
Hosted by EPIC. "Film goers are transformed into a congregation of committed activists, dedicated to saving our increasingly threatened planet."
822-7711 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Playhouse / 7:30 p.m. / $15 / $12 adv.
Krista Detor is a singer-songwriter and pianist from Indiana whose music has been featured on NPR and with Mike Harding on the BBC. Marc Jeffares opens.
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
Justin Rohde on Wild Rivers Country
Northtown Books / 7 p.m.
Justin Rohde will read and sign his new book Hiking Oregon and California's Wild Rivers Country, a contemporary guide to a little known region of the Klamath Mountains. It introduces readers to the mainstems, headwaters, and tributaries of the Illinois, Smith, and Chetco rivers.
822-2834 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
Captured! By Robots
Northern Delights, Hayfork / 9:30 p.m.-2 a.m. / $15
"C!BR's first show on their new tour with the new model robots ready to f*kin shred metal.. Yes robots will make it to Hayfork to perform for the first time we imagine."
530-628-5246 / Web site / View Comments
- ANNABELLE: 12:05, 3:40, 5:55, 8:00, 9:30
- BOXTROLLS 2D: 12:30, 2:00, 3:00, 4:30, 5:30, 7:10
- EQUALIZER: 12:00, 3:05, 6:05, 9:10
- GONE GIRL: 12:20, 1:30, 2:35, 6:10, 7:30, 8:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:00, 2:50, 5:45, 8:40
- LEFT BEHIND: 12:35, 3:20, 4:55, 6:00, 8:45
- LET S BE COPS: 4:40, 9:30
- MAZE RUNNER: 12:45, 3:35, 6:25, 7:40, 9:15
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 11:55, 2:20
- THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU: 1:25, 4:05, 6:45, 9:25
- WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES: 12:50, 3:30, 6:15, 9:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- ANNABELLE: 4:20, 6:50, 8:25, 9:20
- BOXTROLLS 2D: 3:10, 5:35, 8:00
- DOLPHIN TALE 2: 3:00, 5:45
- EQUALIZER: 2:55, 6:00, 9:05
- GONE GIRL: 5:10, 8:35
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 3:15, 6:05, 8:55
- MAZE RUNNER: 3:30, 6:20, 9:10
- THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU: 3:35, 6:10, 8:45
- GONE GIRL: 4:55, 8:15
- MAZE RUNNER: 3:30, 6:10, 8:50
- THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU: 3:50, 6:25, 9:00