Lowdown: You Can Do This
Your Humboldt Thursday provides you no shortage of very different cultural experiences. If you can't find something to jive with tonight, well, maybe you really should stay home and watch SportsCenter (don't!).
- Insanely fit people will make their bodies do things yours can’t as Pilobolus returns to the Van Duzer Theatre (see above).
- HumBrews’ dance floor will be nice and sweat-filled tonight thanks to Afro-beat funkers Polyrhythmics (see below).
- Craft beer culture will be even more celebrated than usual down at The Local during Coast to Coast Toast.
- One of Humboldt County’s best new bands The Hip Joint add vibrance to The Palm Lounge.
- EPIC has a benefit show at the Arcata Playhouse featuring Joanne Rand who has managed to squeeze out another new album.
- A little birdie tells the Lowdown that they’re celebrating Gabe Pressure’s birthday during this edition of Dirty Thursdays at The Pearl.
You can do this. -AG
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Joanne Rand Band CD Release
Arcata Playhouse / 7:30 p.m. / $8 / $15 sliding scale
"Touring nationally for a quarter of a century, Joanne Rand "continues to push the art pedal to the floor," releasing her 13th CD, "The Nashville Sessions," a live solo mix of songs recorded during her 2012 guitar apprenticeship in the U.S. music capital."
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $10 HSU students
With unparalleled physical ability, the remarkably athletic dancers of Pilobolus push the human body to its outermost limits. Artfully combining movement, acrobatics and jaw-dropping, outside-of-the-box invention, the company erects human structures on stage that are “closer to sculpture than dance”
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Other Desert Cities
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $10 previews/thursdays / $20 Gala opening 11/1
Brooke Wyeth returns home to Palm Springs after a six-year absence to celebrate Christmas with her wealthy, conservative parents, her brother, and her aunt. Brooke announces that she is about to publish a memoir dredging up a pivotal and tragic event in the family's history. Uh oh!
443-7688 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Coast to Coast Toast 4
The Local / 4 p.m. / 21+
Crowd-sourced celebration of craft beer culture, put on by the finest publicans and retailers in the USA.
497-6320 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Youth Samurai (Jujitsu)
Arcata Judo Hut / 5-6:30 p.m. / $20 / $5 Drop-In / $30 non-residents
Couldn't you use a tiny samurai in your household?
822-7091 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Beginning Excel MS Office
College of the Redwoods Downtown Site / 5:30-8:30 p.m. / $60 / 18+
Designed to provide the basic computer skills for survival in today's technology-laden workplace.
476-4500 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Sustainable Futures Speaker Series
Humboldt State University / 5:30-7 p.m. / Free
Dr. Jesse Abrams will present “The Importance of Communities of Place and Interest to the Sustainability of Forest-Based Bioenergy Development.” Abrams is a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Ecosystem Workforce Program, Institute for a Sustainable Environment, University of Oregon.
826-3653 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Wharfinger Building / 6:45-9 p.m. / Free
Our guest this month is Laverne Waddington and the title of the program is Weaving on Simple Looms in South America.
498-2472 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Cecils New Orleans Bistro / 7-10 p.m. / Free
New trio featuring Jimmy Durchslag on trombone, Orlando Morales on percussion and B. Brock, the leader, on guitar and vocals.
923-7007 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Eureka High School Auditorium / 7:30 p.m. / $8 / $5 students/kids
Set in the 1930s, Epic Proportions tells the story of two brothers, Benny and Phil, who have been hired as extras into the D.W. DeWitt epic film "Exuent Omnes." Before they know it, they are starring in and directing the film.
476-1735 / email@example.com / View Comments
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
NCRT / 8 p.m. / $18 / $25 benefit for Redwood Reading Service Nov. 14 / $20 benefit for Children' Author Festival Nov. 15
The story concerns young, ambitious J. Pierrepont Finch, who, with the help of the book How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, rises from window washer to chairman of the board of the World Wide Wicket Company.
442-6278 / NCRT@humboldt1.com / Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD DAY: 1:40, 3:50, 6:00
- BIG HERO 6 2D: 12:00, 2:45, 5:30, 8:10
- BIG HERO 6 3D: 12:45, 3:30, 6:15, 8:55
- BOOK OF LIFE 2D: 12:50, 3:15, 5:40
- DUMB AND DUMBER TO: 8:00
- EQUALIZER: 3:10, 9:15
- FURY: 2:25, 5:35, 8:40
- GONE GIRL: 12:00, 6:05
- INTERSTELLAR: 12:10, 1:05, 3:55, 4:50, 7:40, 8:30
- JOHN WICK: 1:30, 4:00, 6:30, 9:05
- JUDGE: 8:20
- NIGHTCRAWLER: 1:00, 3:45, 6:35, 9:20
- OUIJA: 1:55, 4:45, 7:10, 9:30
- ST VINCENT: 12:55, 3:35, 6:10, 8:45
Mill Creek Cinema
- ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD DAY: 4:30
- BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP: 9:10
- BIG HERO 6 2D: 2:45, 5:30, 8:10
- BIG HERO 6 3D: 3:30, 6:15, 8:55
- BOOK OF LIFE 2D: 6:45
- DUMB AND DUMBER TO: 8:00
- INTERSTELLAR: 3:55, 4:50, 7:40, 8:30
- NIGHTCRAWLER: 3:45, 6:35, 9:20
- OUIJA: 4:40, 7:00, 9:30
- ST VINCENT: 3:10, 5:45
- BLUE ROOM: 3:00, 5:05, 7:10, 9:15
- INTERSTELLAR: 4:20, 8:00
- ST VINCENT: 3:50, 6:25, 9:00