Saturday, May 24's Lowdown
Kinetics will dominate most of Humboldt’s Memorial Day Weekend mind space (and LoCO will add to that with our coverage later today, for sure). But if you are allergic to Rutabaga Queens or whatever, there are actually other things you could do Saturday:
- Some guy named Bob Dylan is turning 73 today. Celebrating in his absence, a ton of local musicians will gather out at Mad River Brewery in (hopefully) sunny Tangled-up-and-Blue Lake to play and sing songs penned by the ‘60s icon. Bring your voice.
- The anti-GMO crowd will be out in full force as they March Against Monsanto through Eureka’s Old Town. The sure-to-be-colorful chants will have rhythm added to them by local Samba drummers. Bring a sign.
- McKenna Faith ain’t doing to bad for herself. The young, Mendocino County-born, Nashville-connected country singer has been touring the nation in support of her hit “We Like Trucks.” The video (below) for the song was shot in Mendo section of the Eel River and features, what else, pickups tearing up the riverbed. Crazy kids. Anywho, she’ll be at Bear River Casino tonight. Bring a truck.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Kinetic Grand Championship Day One
Arcata Plaza / 10 a.m.
Day 1 of the Kinetic Grand Championship starts on the Plaza in Arcata, California at the noon whistle every Memorial Day weekend. The racers take off to the Manila dunes, where they race through miles of sand to the great and inevitable “Deadman’s Drop.” Then on to Eureka’s downtown gazebo.
Web site / View Comments
Humboldt March Against Monsanto
Old Town/Downtown Eureka / 3 p.m.
"An important part of the global movement to label, better yet, ban GMOs. Bring your kids, costumes (honey bees, bumble bees beekeepers, butterflies, ladybugs, the possibilities are endless!), dogs, signs, samba drums - whatever your imagination dictates."
Web site / View Comments
4th Annual Bob Dylan's Birthday Bash
Mad River Brewery Tasting Room / 3 p.m.
Local musicians play Bob's songs. Featuring Chris Parreira, Les Scharnberg, The Rezonators, Bryant Kellison, Jenifer Breeze, Morgan Corviday, Jan Bramlett and more.
668-4151 / Web site / View Comments
FLOW: An AAI Runway Event
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 7:30 p.m. / $30 / $20 students
Hosted by Arcata Arts Institute students, this unique event is the culminating showcase for students in the AAI Fashion Design program
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Bay Paddle Tour
Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center / 1 p.m. / $35 All Others / $30 HSU Students
Explore the local flora and fauna present seasonally and year round in and on the waters of the bay.
443-4222 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
March Against Monsanto
Eureka / 3-5 p.m. / Free / Free Everyone
"Protect ourselves, our children, our CSAs, our bees, our mother earth, ourselves, our rights, our very existence!"
444-8804 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
USA Dance Social
Redwood Raks World Dance Studio / 6:30-10:30 p.m. / $10 / $5 students, seniors, & members
USA Dance Chapter #4013 takes you on an island get-away starting with a salsa lesson by Miss Julie of 'Salsa at Six.'
464-3638 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 8 p.m. / Free / 18+
The MFA class of 2014 presents three original one-act plays with humor, absurdism, movement and music. Pay-what-you-can tickets.
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / View Comments
Northcoast Preparatory and Performing Arts Academy Play
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $15
An original theatre, dance, music performance inspired by the heritage of Humboldt County.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $20
The North Coast Repertory Theatre continues its 30th Season with the North Coast premiere of the musical Les Misérables, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, with music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and book by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg.
442-6278 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 1:30, 8:10
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 4:50
- BLENDED: 11:50, 2:40, 5:30, 8:20
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 2:45, 8:05
- GODZILLA 2D: 12:10, 3:15, 6:15, 9:15
- GODZILLA 3D: 11:55, 2:50, 5:50, 8:50
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 12:15, 5:40
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 12:20, 3:15, 6:10, 9:05
- MOMS NIGHT OUT: 12:50, 3:25, 5:55, 8:25
- NEIGHBORS: 11:45, 2:10, 4:40, 7:10, 9:40
- OTHER WOMAN: 6:45, 9:25
- RAILWAY MAN: 1:25, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- RIO 2 2D: 1:35, 4:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:05, 9:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 3D: 11:30, 2:30, 5:35, 8:40
Mill Creek Cinema
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 1:35, 8:15
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 4:55
- BLENDED: 1:00, 3:50, 6:40, 9:30
- GODZILLA 2D: 11:45, 2:40, 5:40, 8:40
- GODZILLA 3D: 12:10, 3:10, 6:10, 9:10
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 8:50
- NEIGHBORS: 2:15, 4:40, 7:10, 9:40
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 11:50, 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 3D: 12:20, 3:20, 6:20, 9:20
- GODZILLA 2D: 12:00, 2:50, 5:40, 8:35
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 11:50, 2:35, 5:25, 8:15
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:15, 3:10, 6:10, 9:10