Friday, May 23, 2014's Lowdown
We’ll start off by reminding y’all that the Lost Koast Outpost will be the place to view photos and video of every single goddamn sculpture rolling in this weekend’s Kinetic Grand Championship. We dig on glory here.
As far as Friday night is koncerned, you can get yourself into the korrect glorious spirits at the Eureka Theatre’s skreening of Stanley Kramer’s It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, a film whose wacky DNA can be found in Hobart’s race’s khromosomes.
(Note: We here at LoKO are just going to apologize in advance for the fact that many hard “C”s will be replaced by “K”s this weekend. It’s a stupid, stupid kinetic tradition. We are very sorry.)
Also tonight, standup up-and-goer Keith Lowell Jensen headlines a night of too many comedians at the Arcata Theatre Lounge. See him wish aloud that Sudafed were as readily available as meth in the video below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Northtown Books / 7 p.m.
Author Peter Hecht discusses his new book Weed Land: Inside America's Marijuana Epicenter and How Pot Went Legit.
822-2834 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Eureka Theater / 7-10 p.m.
Before kinetic madness was even a gleam in Hobart's eye, Stanley Kramer brought his own vision of epic, wacky competition to the big screen. Spencer Tracy, Edie Adams, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, Jonathan Winters and more star.
442-2970 / Web site / View Comments
4th Annual Bob Dylan's Birthday Bash
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m.
Local musicians play Bob's songs. Featuring Chris Parreira and Marc Jeffares from The Trouble, Piet Dalmolen and others.
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Northcoast Preparatory and Performing Arts Academy Play
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $15
An original theatre, dance, music performance inspired by the heritage of Humboldt County.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $20
The North Coast Repertory Theatre continues its 30th Season with the North Coast premiere of the musical Les Misérables, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, with music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and book by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 8 p.m. / Free / 18+
The MFA class of 2014 presents three original one-act plays with humor, absurdism, movement and music. Pay-what-you-can tickets.
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / View Comments
Logger Bar / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
"More microbe than men, the colonial organisms that make up the humanoid forms of Raising Grain communicate solely through bluegrass rhythms."
668-5000 / Raisinggrain@gmail.com / Web site / View Comments
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 1:30, 8:10
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 4:50
- BLENDED: 11:50, 2:40, 5:30, 8:20
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 2:45, 8:05
- GODZILLA 2D: 12:10, 3:15, 6:15, 9:15
- GODZILLA 3D: 11:55, 2:50, 5:50, 8:50
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 12:15, 5:40
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 12:20, 3:15, 6:10, 9:05
- MOMS NIGHT OUT: 12:50, 3:25, 5:55, 8:25
- NEIGHBORS: 11:45, 2:10, 4:40, 7:10, 9:40
- OTHER WOMAN: 6:45, 9:25
- RAILWAY MAN: 1:25, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- RIO 2 2D: 1:35, 4:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:05, 9:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 3D: 11:30, 2:30, 5:35, 8:40
Mill Creek Cinema
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 2D: 1:35, 8:15
- AMAZING SPIDER MAN 2 3D: 4:55
- BLENDED: 1:00, 3:50, 6:40, 9:30
- GODZILLA 2D: 11:45, 2:40, 5:40, 8:40
- GODZILLA 3D: 12:10, 3:10, 6:10, 9:10
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 8:50
- NEIGHBORS: 2:15, 4:40, 7:10, 9:40
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 11:50, 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 3D: 12:20, 3:20, 6:20, 9:20
- GODZILLA 2D: 2:50, 5:40, 8:35
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 2:35, 5:25, 8:15
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 3:10, 6:10, 9:10