Tuesday, March 25's Lowdown
UPDATE, 4:27 p.m.: Word from The Shanty:
"So Warm Soda cancelled tonight. Yes it sucks. But the Humboldt underground music machine has duct taped together what we think is still a pretty killer show."
Sadness. But news is there will still be sounds at The Shanty in the form of White Manna, Body Academics and TxExDx. So there.
Humboldt's overachieving Tuesday features the following:
- The Shanty will be packed out and sweaty for a band triple shot highlighted by East Bay glam/garage force Warm Soda. Do you want to know what Rolling Stone says about them? Well, "Combining elements of power pop, glam, and garage rock...Warm Soda crush out killer power-pop jams," is what they think. So there. Oh, we should also mention that there's a band opening named Big Tits, notable mostly for the fact that the name of the band is "Big Tits."
- Fiddle player Hanneke Cassel returns to soothe gathered ears at the Arcata Playhouse with songs from her latest album Dot the Dragon's Eyes. If you'd like an early taste of her brand of yum, tune into KHUM sometime after 3 p.m. when she'll hang with Larry.
- If you've got the budget, choreographer Trey McIntyre's ballet vision will play out on the Van Duzer Theatre stage. The man has worked with the American Ballet Theatre and the New York City Ballet (we are told these are important ballet names).
- Nola jazz ensemble Rebirth Brass Band squeeze a bit of late Mardi Gras into HumBrews. Watch the group blow it out in the French Quarter in the clip below.
This is a Tuesday? Y'all are spoiled. Also, plan the rest of your week's outings by perusing upcoming event highlights in the new Lowdown Lookahead. Do that.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Hanneke Cassel Trio
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $15 / $13 students and HFS members
Fiddle player's west coast CD release tour for the new album Dot the Dragon's Eyes with cellist Mike Block and guitarist Christopher Lewis.
822-1575 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Trey McIntyre Project
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $45 / $15 HSU student / 21+
"McIntyre has already created a canon of more than 80 works for such major companies as American Ballet Theatre and the New York City Ballet. Since forming in 2005, his own thrilling troupe has created a sensation with productions of McIntyre's trademark 'fresh and forward-thinking choreography.'"
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
(CANCELED) Warm Soda, Big Tits, Dirty Pillows
The Shanty / 9 p.m. / $5 / 21+
Three band night headlined by Warm Soda, "a power pop group from Oakland combining elements of pop, glam, garage rock, and teen angst bubblegum into a sound that gets crowds bouncing."
444-2053 / View Comments
New Designs for Fundraising
Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center / 6-8 p.m. / $195 / $165 NorCAN members / 18+
An overview of all the tools and techniques used to identify, cultivate and solicit big gifts and develop, market and manage capital campaigns, planned giving and major gifts programs.
661-4665 / Web site / View Comments
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 2D: 1:15, 6:45, 9:35
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 3D: 3:15, 8:50
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 5:35, 9:05
- DIVERGENT: 11:45, 1:25, 2:50, 4:40, 6:00, 7:55, 9:10
- FROZEN 2D: 1:40, 4:20
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 12:30, 3:05
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:05, 3:00, 5:45, 8:35
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 2D: 12:00, 1:35, 2:30, 4:05, 4:55, 6:30, 7:25, 8:20
- MUPPETS MOST WANTED: 11:50, 1:10, 2:35, 4:00, 5:25, 6:50, 8:10
- NEED FOR SPEED 2D: 3:50, 9:20
- NEED FOR SPEED 3D: 12:20, 5:50
- NON-STOP: 1:00, 3:35, 6:15, 8:55
- POMPEII 3D: 6:55, 9:30
Mill Creek Cinema
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 2D: 4:20, 9:30
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 3D: 6:55
- DIVERGENT: 2:50, 6:00, 8:20, 9:10
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 3:00, 5:30, 8:00
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 2D: 3:25, 4:55, 5:50, 7:25
- MUPPETS MOST WANTED: 2:40, 5:25, 8:10
- NEED FOR SPEED 2D: 6:25, 9:20
- NEED FOR SPEED 3D: 3:30
- NON-STOP: 3:40, 6:15, 8:50
- 2014 OSCAR NOMINATED ANIMATED SHORT FILMS: 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- DIVERGENT: 5:35, 8:45
- WIND RISES: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00