Friday, March 7's Lowdown
Friday night is the night when people go out. Go out, people:
- Former Humboldtian/member of a cappella songstress crew AkaBella Melody Walker returns to our fair county to share songs from her latest album We Made It Home. The folkgrassy project is a collaboration with mandolin player Jacob Groopman. Pick up a copy at tonight's release/show at the Arcata Playhouse (and be reminded of the time Walker and Groopman received the Humboldt Live Sessions treatment in the clip below).
- Savage Henry Magazine keeps the steady stream of yuks funneling into HumCo at tonight's Pawns of Comedy showcase at Humboldt Brews headlined by Chico-based personality DNA (that's his name) as well as Ben Del Castillo, Chad Opitiz and Brendan Lynch. Ha.
- As you may have heard, oh, everywhere, Tony Orlando will be knockin' three times and tyin' yellow ribbons, etc. up at Cher-ae Heights Casino tonight. Dawn can't make it, but the hits will be there.
If none of the fun above grabs you then you, my friend, have some scrolling to do. Happy hunting.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
It's been way more than three long years and I certainly DO still want him. Tie any color ribbon around ME, Tony (if you know what I mean).
Night Watchers Walk @Ma-le'l Dunes! It's nice we can do this now that the Dune Vampires migrated south for the rainy season.
Bowl for Kids' Sake
Harbor Lanes / 5 p.m.
Every dollar raised helps to provide professionally supported volunteer mentors for children in our community. Help Big Brothers Big Sisters of the North coast and form your fundraising team.
445-4871 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m. / $39
"One of America's most endearing and enduring stars; Tony brings to the stage a warmth and exhilarating energy that electrifies an audience."
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
Making God Laugh
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15
A family comedy that takes place in four scenes, each ten years apart, set at various holidays. Starting in 1980, the kids – a priest, an aspiring actress, and a former star football player – all return home, where we learn of their plans and dreams as they embark on their adult lives.
Melody Walker and Jacob Groopman
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $15 / $13 students/members
Folkgrass Americali duo returns for first time in over a year. Appropriately, this show is their official Humboldt CD release party for their recent release We Made It Home. Lauren Norgeot opens the show.
822-1575 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Social Justice Summit
Kate Buchanan Room / 10 a.m.-6 p.m. / $25 / $20 non-profits / Free students
Two-day conference will focus on the different ideas and tactics that can be used in the struggle for social justice, equity and inclusion.
826-3369 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Little Shop of Horrors
Eureka High School Auditorium / 7:30 p.m. / $8 / $5 students
EHS Players present a story about a man who improves his situation with the help of a plant from outer space.
441-1735 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Spinning Into Butter
Gist Theater at HSU / 7:30-9:30 p.m. / $10 / Free limited free seating for HSU students / $8 seniors, students / 18+
"It’s an ordinary autumn day at Belmont College. But when a black student reports a racial hate note pinned to his dormitory room door, everything starts to spin out of control."
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Mill Creek Cinema
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 2D: 12:45, 3:20, 6:05, 8:45
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 3D: 1:15, 3:55, 6:35, 9:15
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 12:15, 2:45, 5:20, 7:50
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:25, 5:50
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 2D: 12:35, 2:25, 3:10, 5:40, 8:05
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 3D: 12:00, 4:55, 7:25
- NON-STOP: 12:55, 3:35, 6:15, 8:55
- POMPEII 2D: 8:40
- POMPEII 3D: 3:15
- SON OF GOD: 11:50, 2:55, 6:00, 9:05
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 2D: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- AMERICAN HUSTLE: 5:10, 8:20
- HER: 3:25, 8:50
- PHILOMENA: 6:20