Friday, June 13's Lowdown
The kitty has been released from its confining sack and is now free to roam around and rub up against your leg. The Cutters, one of the more popular bands in Humboldt history, have reunited to headline a night at The Palm Lounge Friday (for more, see the Lowdown dance around the subject yesterday). But that is but one star in HumCo’s crowded Friday night stuff-to-distract-you sky:
- Veteran political standup comic Will Durst is old. This phenomena is explored in his latest one man show, BoomeRaging: From LSD to OMG which explores the impending demise of the Baby Boom Generation, of which Durst is a member. If you’re somehow unfamiliar with his body of work — which includes performing for Presidents, a syndicated political column and, of course, tonight’s stop at the Arcata Theatre Lounge — soak up his tone in the YouTube clip farther down.
- If you’ve noticed an influx of bikers on Humboldt roads the past few days, please know that they will soon be naked. The 2014 edition of the Redwood Run returns to Riverview Ranch in northern Mendo this weekend for three days of chrome bliss. Friday’s packed musical lineup is headlined by ‘70s southern rockers The Marshall Tucker Band. Can’t you see them? You can if you vroom your way down to Piercy.
- While much of tonight’s action centers into Arcata due to Arts!Arcata, sounds like there will be a none-too-shabby party at Eureka’s Siren’s Song Tavern where a mini-Gras will break out in the form of The Ten Man Brass Band (one of the more helpful and descriptive band names) and party-to-go drum/dance troupe sambAmore. Candy for your eyes/ears/butt.
The Cutters, The Lost Luvs, Scary Photographs
Palm Lounge at The Eureka Inn / 8 p.m. / 21+
Local rock 'n' roll girl group The Lost Luvs and "Eureka's New Supergroup" Scary Photographs rock the cool kids. DJs Red and Zephyr open. Oh, and there might be another band.
Thrill of the Grill
North Coast Co-Op in Eureka / 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. / $5
Barbecue lunch. Live music by Dogbone. All proceeds go to Food for People's Child Nutrition Programs.
445-3166 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Grand Opening of The (Re)Workshop
SCRAP Humboldt / 6-9 p.m.
Join SCRAP Humboldt as they unveil their new education/DIY/Maker/Workshop/Open Studio space to the public.
633-8349 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Region Audubon Society / 7:30 p.m.
Betsy Elkinton, recent HSU Wildlife Master's Program graduate, will present a program entitled "Foraging Strategies of Black Brant During Spring Staging on South Humboldt Bay." Learn about this iconic goose species that is critically dependent on the health of Humboldt Bay and its eelgrass.
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18
The North Coast Repertory Theatre continues its 30th Season with the North Coast premiere of the musical Les Misérables, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, with music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and book by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg.
442-6278 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
The Dixie Swim Club
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $16
We meet five women, all friends and former teammates on their college swim team who come together once a year for memories and highjinks. Hilarity and poignancy are the hallmarks of this lovely story that will leave you longing to get in touch with that old roommate of yours.
786-5483 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Jambalaya / 9 p.m. / $10 / 21+
Featuring local talent and musicians doing renditions of their own favorite bands. Farmhouse Odyssey, Liquid Kactus, Tellum, and more special guests.
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Brews / 9:30 p.m. / $10 / 21+
"Their songs try to speak to everyone, mixing a variety of genres with extended musical improvisations that evoke a sense of adventure and exploration."
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Northern Delights, Hayfork / 10 p.m.-2 a.m. / $30 / 21+
Austin's 9-piece latin funk clan BrownOut presents their interpretations of Black Sabbath.
530-628-5246 / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:00, 3:45, 6:30, 8:00, 9:15
- CHEF: 12:10, 2:55, 5:40, 8:25
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 1:20, 3:35, 4:10, 6:55, 9:00, 9:40
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 3D: 12:30, 5:55
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 11:45, 2:40, 5:35, 8:40
- GODZILLA 2D: 12:55, 6:35
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 11:50, 12:50, 2:25, 5:00, 6:00, 7:35
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 3D: 3:25, 8:35
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:15, 1:05, 2:50, 5:25, 6:25
- MALEFICENT 3D: 3:20, 8:50
- MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST: 3:50, 9:30
- NEIGHBORS: 2:10, 4:45, 7:10, 9:45
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:00, 3:05, 6:05, 9:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:10, 3:55, 6:40, 9:25
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 3:45, 9:10
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 3D: 12:45, 6:10
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 12:00, 2:55, 5:50, 9:00
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 11:55, 12:55, 2:30, 5:05, 6:00, 7:40
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 3D: 3:25, 8:30
- MALEFICENT 2D: 1:00, 3:35, 6:30
- MALEFICENT 3D: 8:50
- MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST: 1:15, 4:00, 6:50, 9:35
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:10, 3:10, 6:15, 9:15
- CHEF: 3:40, 6:20, 9:00
- IDA: 3:50, 5:55, 8:00
- PALO ALTO: 4:25, 6:50, 9:15