Friday, June 6's Lowdown
Comparatively, we’re calling this a pretty low-key Friday for Humboldt. Hmm. Maybe you missed the opening weekend of the Humboldt Crabs slaughtering all comers. If that is the case, you’re required to get out to a game this weekend to watch them club Seals. Tonight perchance.
Down at the Ferndale Repertory Theatre, they’re opening The Dixie Swim Club, a story of five college friends who reconnect and validate the hell out of each other. Very touching. Show runs for the next three weeks.
Oh! Or. For some reason the vibrant Ocean Night crowd scheduled this month’s film screening for a Friday. Do you crave environmentally savvy chit chat over beer? Do you like raffles? Do you want to see Disney’s eye-popping Oceans documentary on the big screen (trailer below)? These are reasons you would go to that.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
It's Hemp History Week? Isn't it always here in Humboldt? What that? You don't smoke hemp? Well if that's true why is it illegal? Because not every law needs a good reason behind it you say? Oh. Learn even more tonight at Bringing it Home Humboldt at the Bayside Grange tonight at 6p.
Ocean Night Film Screening: Oceans
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6:30 p.m. / $3
Winged Migration co-directors Jacques Cluzaud and Jacques Perrin re-team for this documentary produced for Walt Disney Studios’ Disneynature banner and exploring the many mysteries of our planet’s oceans. Also, students from Redwood Coast Montessori show the PSAs they’ve made about climate change.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
The Dixie Swim Club Opening
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $16
We meet five women, all friends and former teammates on their college swim team who come together once a year for memories and highjinks. Hilarity and poignancy are the hallmarks of this lovely story that will leave you longing to get in touch with that old roommate of yours.
786-5483 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18
The North Coast Repertory Theatre continues its 30th Season with the North Coast premiere of the musical Les Misérables, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, with music by Claude-Michel Schonberg, lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer and book by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg.
442-6278 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
'Something for Everyone' Showcase
Jambalaya / 9:30 p.m.-2 a.m. / $7 / 21+
Featuring The Dirty Rats, JU Drum, C-Baker, DJ Nobal Toble, finishing off the night with Sambamore and River Valley Mud.
822-4766 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
The Siren's Song Tavern / 10-11:30 p.m.
Emcees, poets and singers freestyle over improvised analogue synth laden hip hop grooves.
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- BLENDED: 3:30, 9:15
- CHEF: 1:05, 3:55, 6:40, 9:25
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 2:20, 3:35, 5:15, 8:10, 9:00
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 3D: 12:30, 5:55
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 11:45, 2:40, 5:35, 8:35
- GODZILLA 2D: 2:55, 8:50
- GODZILLA 3D: 11:55, 5:50
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:10, 1:00, 2:50, 5:25, 6:25, 8:00
- MALEFICENT 3D: 3:20, 8:45
- MILLION DOLLAR ARM: 12:35, 6:15
- MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST: 1:15, 4:00, 6:45, 9:30
- NEIGHBORS: 11:50, 2:10, 4:45, 7:10, 9:40
- REDWOOD HIGHWAY: 12:15, 2:35, 5:00, 7:20
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:00, 6:05, 9:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 3D: 3:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- BLENDED: 3:35, 9:25
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 3:45, 9:10
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 3D: 12:35, 6:00
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 11:55, 2:55, 5:50, 8:50
- GODZILLA 2D: 12:40
- GODZILLA 3D: 6:25
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:10, 1:10, 2:45, 5:15, 6:35, 7:45
- MALEFICENT 3D: 3:25, 8:45
- MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST: 1:15, 4:00, 6:50, 9:35
- REDWOOD HIGHWAY: 11:50, 2:05, 4:20, 6:40, 9:00
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 12:00, 3:05, 6:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 3D: 9:15
- BELLE: 3:20, 5:50, 8:20
- CHEF: 3:40, 6:25, 9:10
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 2D: 3:10, 6:05, 9:00