Tuesday, July 22, 2014's Lowdown
Here are two things Humboldt could do this Tuesday night that just happen to all be in Arcata. Sorry! That’s just how it worked out tonight! We are not playing favorites! Ahhhhh!:
- When you and I were talking yesterday, you said “Humboldt is cool, but it seems we lack music from the nation of Ghana.” I totally should have remembered to tell you that Ghanaian Afro-fusion jazz/pop drummer Paa Kow and band would be rolling through Jambalaya Tuesday night. I apologize and I’m telling you now. Watch PK take a nice, long drum solo in the clip above.
- By some metic, England-born reggae artist Pato Banton had a number one reggae hit in 1994 with a cover version of "Baby Come Back." Today, Banton comes back to Humboldt (Humboldt Brews, specifically) to spread his particularly positive brand of soul-infused reggae. Franky Hernandez opens.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
When is the last time you sang karaoke at the airport? Never? You going to wait 'til right before you die to do everything on your bucket list?
The Complete Donor Management Toolkit
See Event Description / 10-11 a.m. / $200 / $175 NorCAN members
Designed to help nonprofits understand how to think about choosing and then implementing the donor management system that best suits their needs.
267-9916 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
Humboldt County Library / 6:30-8:30 p.m.
In which two drifters try to stop the mob lynching of three men who might be innocent. Hosted by Michael Cooley. Part of Humboldt County Library's "Based on the Book" classic film series.
269-1900 / Web site / View Comments
(Re)Debris: A Marine Debris Educational Sculpture
SCRAP Humboldt / 7 p.m.
This sculpture will be built utilizing trash gathered from beach cleanups and will take the form of a local creature affected by the harms of plastics and other pollution in our oceans.
633-8349 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:05, 3:45, 6:25, 9:20
- AMERICA: 12:50, 3:30, 6:10, 8:50
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 11:55, 1:50, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 4:55, 8:00
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:20, 2:40, 5:10
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 7:40
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 12:15, 2:45, 5:20, 7:55
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:05, 2:30, 5:00, 7:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 2:00, 4:15, 6:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 3D: 11:50, 8:40
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:20, 4:00, 6:50, 9:30
- SEX TAPE: 1:40, 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- TAMMY: 12:00, 2:25, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 1:00, 8:10
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 4:35
Mill Creek Cinema
- 22 JUMP STREET: 6:10, 8:50
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 1:50, 4:55, 8:00
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:50, 3:10, 5:30
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:10, 3:40
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 11:50, 2:00, 4:15, 6:30, 8:40
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:30, 4:05, 6:45, 9:20
- SEX TAPE: 1:25, 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- TAMMY: 2:00, 4:30, 7:00, 9:30
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 7:50
- BEGIN AGAIN: 4:20, 6:50, 9:20
- CHEF: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00