Wednesday, July 2, 2014's Lowdown
You know, it’s not very often your Lowdown features shows that happen in Petrolia. In fact, in our year of existence this just might be the first one, by golly. Kinda slacking on the “Lost Coast” portion of "Lost Coast Outpost," we guess. Sowwy!
But tonight at the Mattole Valley Community Center gathered ears will be treated to the arrangements of Rabbit Rabbit, ostensibly comprised of the husband and wife duo Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi. Over the years, the multi-instrumentalist pair have played with numerous other artists including Tom Waits, Tracy Chapman, Pretty Lights and Mike Patton. In the last couple of years, they’ve embarked on a mission to release a song/video a month under a pay-what-you-can model, a gimmick unique enough to garner a writeup in the New York Times last year.
Check out one of their many videos below and/or check out one of the human clusters occurring closer to Humboldt’s larger population clusters in your Lowdown listings below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
The Alpha Incident (1978)
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m. / $5
A space probe returns to Earth from Mars, carrying with it a deadly organism which has the lethal potential to destroy all life on Earth. However, it can only kill when its victims are asleep.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Mattole Valley Community Center (Petrolia) / 7:30 p.m. / $10
Over the years, this multi-instrumentalist husband and wife team have played with Tom Waits, Mike Patton, Skeleton Key, Madeleine Peyroux, Tracy Chapman, John Vanderslice, St. Vincent, Carla Bozulich, Pretty Lights and The Tiger Lillies.
629-3290 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Coastal Nature Center / 5-6:30 p.m. / Free
Help maintain the native landscaping around the Nature Center and on the green roof, weeding help is especially needed.
444-1397 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
Open Mic with Mike Anderson
Old Town Coffee And Chocolates / 6:30-9 p.m. / Free
Usually some singer/guitarists, a couple spoken word guys and then that one wildcard oddity that makes you go "hmm."
445-8600 / OldTownCoffeeEureka@yahoo.com / Web site / View Comments
Mad Lab: An Evening of Works-In-Progress
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 8 p.m. / $10
"A bubbling brew of experimental work by Dell’Arte alumni, featuring eccentric oddball characters and formulas for laughs galore."
668-5663 / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:05, 3:45, 6:30, 9:20
- EDGE OF TOMORROW 2D: 12:10, 2:55, 5:45, 8:30
- FAULT IN OUR STARS: 12:30, 3:25, 6:20, 9:15
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 12:15, 1:10, 2:45, 3:40, 5:20
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 3D: 7:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- 22 JUMP STREET: 1:20, 4:05, 6:50, 9:30
- DELIVER US FROM EVIL: 12:50, 3:40, 6:30, 9:20
- EARTH TO ECHO: 12:40, 3:10, 5:35, 8:00
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 12:45, 3:20, 5:55
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 3D: 8:25
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:20, 2:50, 5:20, 7:50
- TAMMY: 1:40, 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 1:30, 5:10, 7:30, 8:50
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 3D: 12:10, 3:50
- CHEF: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- IDA: 3:10, 5:15, 7:20
- OBVIOUS CHILD: 4:55, 7:10, 9:20
- ROVER: 9:20
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 4:25, 8:00