Friday, Feb. 21's Lowdown
Hmm. Wow. Pertaining to this Humboldt Friday, we would like to highlight the sentiments of LoCO Fun Committee member Jessica McGuinty below since it matches ours exactly:
"Ok, ok, I see how it is. It’s one of those “We’re trying to show off to those people who say there’s nothing to do here” nights, is it? Jeez, Humboldt. Why you gotta cram everything into one night?! Figure it out yourself, my head just exploded." -JM
Yes. There is too much good here. Just to briefly highlight a few of 'em:
- Local heavy funk brigade Motherlode are releasing their first album titled All in Good Time at an event at the Arcata Playhouse. For more info than we have space for here, the NCJ's J-Sav scored a nice interview with 'lode drummer Pete Ciotti that you can click to here.
- At least a few people who played music with Bob Marley will be on the Van Duzer Theatre stage tonight as part of the 2014 version of The Wailers. Fear not, if you like Bob's songs. No joke, the group is playing every song from the 1984 compilation Legend. They promise. Way to know your audience.
- Humboldt Brews temperatures will increase to equator-ish levels thanks to the return of Soul Night. Look for a special set from Arcata's own DJ Red, who is celebrating his 30th year behind the turntables. His soul is older than yours. Listen up.
Oodles more Friday night human clusters for those not afraid to scroll the Lowdown below. Too many, we reckon.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Ok, ok, I see how it is. It's one of those "We're trying to show off to those people who say there's nothing to do here" nights, is it? Jeez, Humboldt. Why you gotta cram everything into one night?! Figure it out yourself, my head just exploded.
Humboldt Folklife Society Barn Dance
Redwood Raks World Dance Studio / 7:30-10:30 p.m. / $7
Humboldt Folklife Society asks you kick up your heels as Blake Ritter and Sam McNeill play sizzling tunes and Sue Moon calls the dances.
269-2061 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Making God Laugh
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15
A family comedy that takes place in four scenes, each ten years apart, set at various holidays. Starting in 1980, the kids – a priest, an aspiring actress, and a former star football player – all return home, where we learn of their plans and dreams as they embark on their adult lives.
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $22 / $5 HSU students
On the 30th anniversary of its release in 1984, Bob Marley's band will be touring the US in 2014, performing the iconic album Legend in its entirety.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Soul Night 28
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m. / $5 / 21+
"Sweatiest good-time in town. This month our special guest, celebrating his 30th year behind the turntables, DJ Red!"
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Spring Acrylic Painting
College of the Redwoods Community Education / 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. / $99 / 18+
CR courses for your life-long learning.
269-4000 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Boujie Baking Co. Beer/Dessert Pairing
Mad River Brewery Tasting Room / 6 p.m. / $12 / $10 adv.
Decadent desserts paired with award-winning beer, and live music by The Good Homosapians.
668-4151 / Web site / View Comments
Chabad of Humboldt / 6:30 p.m.
There is a mysterious moment when time fades away as we transcend the mundane and experience Shabbat. Learn about our timeless Jewish tradition, sing, and share stories and inspiration.
Heavy Metal (1981)
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 8 p.m. / $5
Inspired by stories from the fantasy graphics magazine Heavy Metal, this five-part animated feature combines the talents of hundreds of artists and animators from 17 different countries.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
The Vagina Monologues
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8-10 p.m. / $12 online sales at vdayhumboldt.org / $10 seniors and students / $15 general
Based on V-Day Founder/ playwright Eve Ensler's interviews with more than 200 women. With humor and grace the piece celebrates women’s sexuality and strength. Through this play and the liberation of this one word, countless women throughout the world have taken control of their bodies and lives.
200-8329 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Distance of The Moon
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 8-10 p.m. / Free
Theatrical adaptation of the short story by Italo Calvino, performed by our second-year M.F.A. class.
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 12:35, 3:50, 6:40, 9:10
- ABOUT LAST NIGHT: 1:40, 4:10, 6:45, 9:20
- ENDLESS LOVE: 12:30, 3:10, 5:45, 8:25
- FROZEN 2D: 12:10, 5:20
- I FRANKENSTEIN 2D: 9:25
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 11:55, 1:00, 2:30, 3:55, 5:05, 7:40
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 12:00, 6:20
- LONE SURVIVOR: 2:25, 5:15, 8:10
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- PHILOMENA: 2:45, 8:00
- POMPEII 2D: 1:15, 6:30
- POMPEII 3D: 3:40, 9:00
- RIDE ALONG: 2:20, 4:45, 7:10, 9:35
- ROBOCOP: 12:10, 2:55, 5:50, 8:40
- WINTER S TALE: 12:15, 3:05, 6:05, 8:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 12:20, 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- ENDLESS LOVE: 1:35, 4:10, 6:50, 9:25
- FROZEN 2D: 12:15, 3:00
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 1:30, 4:05, 6:40
- LONE SURVIVOR: 5:40, 8:30
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:30, 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- POMPEII 2D: 1:10, 6:30
- POMPEII 3D: 3:50, 9:10
- RIDE ALONG: 9:15
- ROBOCOP: 12:10, 3:05, 5:55, 8:45
- WINTER S TALE: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 8:35
- 3 DAYS TO KILL: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- HER: 6:10
- PHILOMENA: 3:35, 6:00, 8:25
- WINTER S TALE: 3:25, 9:00