Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014's Lowdown
Your Lowdown will kick today off by imploring you to check out the Lost Coast Outpost's Humboldt Valentine's Guide. Tomorrow is the big day. This is your two-minute warning.
As far as Thursday goes, tonight is your second and final chance to catch the aggressively authentic bluegrass and witty stage banter that is Dry Branch Fire Squad at the Arcata Playhouse. With nearly 40 years in the pickin' game, the midwest-born quartet mixes front-porch standards and modern ballads with folksy jokes about banjos.
(Added bonus: DBFS will melt the skin off the face of KHUM DJ Mike Dronkers live at 'round 'bouts 1 p.m. You will not want to miss that transition.)
Elsewhere in HumCo this evening, 94.1 KSLG per-see-naw-lay-tee Sherae O'Shag' will give a few local lovelorn losers one final pre-Valentine chance to not have to endure a lonely Feb. 14. The second edition of The Humboldt Hookup quasi-dating show takes place at ye olde Six Rivers Brewery. If you get off on public humiliation … see you there!
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
More like 'Dry Branch Smile Squad,' amiright?!
Oedipus The King and Women in Congress
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $20 / $12 students/seniors
NCRT continues its 30th Season with a special evening of two one-act plays originally performed in ancient Greece.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
Dry Branch Fire Squad
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $18 / $15 members
"For more than a quarter of a century Dry Branch Fire Squad has played aggressively traditional bluegrass, capturing the soul of American music. Along with performing their authentic Appalachia-inspired songs, bandleader Ron Thomason captivates audiences with his hilarious stories."
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
College of the Redwoods / 6 p.m. / $3
CR has a new theatre. Why not use it? Guercio is a standup comedian from Los Angeles who has hosted a game show for MTV, written for Comedy Central, and performed with Louis CK, Dane Cook, Sarah Silverman, and Daniel Tosh.
Making God Laugh
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $10
A family comedy that takes place in four scenes, each ten years apart, set at various holidays. Starting in 1980, the kids – a priest, an aspiring actress, and a former star football player – all return home, where we learn of their plans and dreams as they embark on their adult lives.
- AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: 12:10, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- FROZEN 2D: 1:30
- FROZEN SING A LONG: 4:05
- I FRANKENSTEIN 2D: 4:55, 9:40
- I FRANKENSTEIN 3D: 2:35, 7:20
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 6:40, 9:15
- LABOR DAY: 12:35, 3:15, 5:55, 8:35
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 11:55, 12:55, 2:30, 5:05, 6:05, 7:40
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 12:00, 3:30, 8:40
- LONE SURVIVOR: 12:20, 3:10, 6:10, 9:00
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- RIDE ALONG: 1:55, 4:25, 6:55, 9:25
- ROBOCOP: 12:30, 3:20, 6:15, 9:05
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 2:15, 4:40, 7:05, 9:30
- VAMPIRE ACADEMY: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- FROZEN 2D: 3:15
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 5:50, 8:30
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 2:55, 5:30
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 8:00
- LONE SURVIVOR: 3:20, 6:00, 8:50
- MONUMENTS MEN: 3:10, 6:05, 9:00
- RIDE ALONG: 4:15, 6:45, 9:15
- ROBOCOP: 3:05, 5:55, 8:45
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 4:45, 7:10, 9:30
- VAMPIRE ACADEMY: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- HER: 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- LABOR DAY: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- PHILOMENA: 3:25, 5:50, 8:15