Wednesday, Feb. 12's Lowdown
(Above: Lukas Nelson and his dad.)
For better or worse, Lukas Nelson will always be Willie's kid. Yes, his band Promise of the Real has been playing high-energy shows on big stages since their genesis -- many nights opening for his father -- but there has to be a blessing/curse element to having a larger-than-life padre. Here's how we knee-jerk read the positives and negatives of possessing such genes:
- Pro: Obviously, being the child of someone famous affords you opportunities to have your projects recognized and appreciated that others with less-gilded surnames may never receive. (Evidence: See video of Nelson on Conan below.
- Con: Naturally, people are always going to questioning if you'd actually reached the heights of fame you enjoy if you weren't the offspring of a country legend. Willie's is a long shadow.
Does Lukas possess the chops? Humboldtians can judge for themselves at HumBrews tonight. Or scroll through performers with less royal DNA in your Wednesday Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Piet Dalmolen (who you'll remember from The Nucleus/Full Moon Fever/Free Rain/Foggy Bottom Boys etc.) at the Mad River Tasting Room. I hear he likes the DIPA. [$5 and under award]
Dry Branch Fire Squad gives good banter and great bluegrass.
California's Changing Places
Van Duzer Theater / 7 p.m. / Free
"California Environmental Legacy Project-produced a set of films that explore our past, present and future relationship with California’s natural environment. Narrated by award-winning actress Jane Fonda and with an original score by legendary musician Pat Metheny."
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Dry Branch Fire Squad
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $18 / $15 members
"For more than a quarter of a century Dry Branch Fire Squad has played aggressively traditional bluegrass, capturing the soul of American music. Along with performing their authentic Appalachia-inspired songs, bandleader Ron Thomason captivates audiences with his hilarious stories."
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m. / $15 / 21+
"Lukas first picked up the guitar at age 11 to honor a promise he made to his father and was able to teach himself the craft by playing along to classic Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix songs."
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Fugitive Alien (1986)
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m. / $5
Japanese science fiction film inspired by the novel series Star Wolf by American science fiction novellist Edmond Hamilton.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
- AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: 12:10, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- FROZEN 2D: 1:30
- FROZEN SING A LONG: 4:05
- I FRANKENSTEIN 2D: 4:55, 9:40
- I FRANKENSTEIN 3D: 2:35, 7:20
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 6:40, 9:15
- LABOR DAY: 12:35, 3:15, 5:55, 8:35
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 11:55, 12:55, 2:30, 5:05, 6:05, 7:40
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 12:00, 3:30, 8:40
- LONE SURVIVOR: 12:20, 3:10, 6:10, 9:00
- MONUMENTS MEN: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- RIDE ALONG: 1:55, 4:25, 6:55, 9:25
- ROBOCOP: 12:30, 3:20, 6:15, 9:05
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 2:15, 4:40, 7:05, 9:30
- VAMPIRE ACADEMY: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- FROZEN 2D: 3:15
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 5:50, 8:30
- LEGO MOVIE 2D: 2:55, 5:30
- LEGO MOVIE 3D: 8:00
- LONE SURVIVOR: 3:20, 6:00, 8:50
- MONUMENTS MEN: 3:10, 6:05, 9:00
- RIDE ALONG: 4:15, 6:45, 9:15
- ROBOCOP: 3:05, 5:55, 8:45
- THAT AWKWARD MOMENT: 4:45, 7:10, 9:30
- VAMPIRE ACADEMY: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- HER: 3:10, 6:00, 8:50
- LABOR DAY: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- PHILOMENA: 3:25, 5:50, 8:15