Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014's Lowdown
For years, the North Coast Stand Down events have reached out to Humboldt’s veterans in an attempt to provide them with needed services and rehabilitation opportunities. Last October’s three day event boasted a volunteer staff of over a hundred people, four dentists and veterinary services to work with service animals. This year’s Stand Down takes place at the Humboldt County Fairgrounds October 3 through 5.
But of course these events don’t just happen without community support. As such, Stand Down organizers will hold their annual Fundraising Dinner and Auction this Thursday in Blue Lake Casino’s Sapphire Palace. Several big ticket items will be available for bid, raffle and door prizing — kayak, gas grill, to name a couple.
One item that stands out a bit more due to recent events is a photo of Robin Williams dressed for his role as Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning, Vietnam. Last week, before yesterday’s tragic news broke, organizer Mona Daily spoke with KHUM’s Cliff Berkowitz about the significance of the item, as well as the details of this year’s event.
Listen to the interview below, learn more about North Coast Stand Down here and/or scroll your Tuesday Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
I'm seriously all about the Humbucks. My house is made of Humbucks, I use Humbucks as roll-on deodorant, I sleep under a large pile of Humbucks (a small pile in the summer) and I individually roll up Humbucks and stick them in the gas tank of my car which is also made of Humbucks. So I will totally be at the Humbucks exchange! Go check it out!
Northtown Books / 7 p.m.
Author reads, signs, and takes questions about her new young adult novel Blind. Synopsis: "When Emma Sasha Silver loses her eyesight in a nightmare accident, she must relearn everything from walking across the street to recognizing her own sisters to imagining colors."
822-2834 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Mad River Brewery Tasting Room / 6 p.m.-8:30 a.m. / Free / 21+
Barleywine Revue brings their unique, soulful approach to bluegrass/Americana music to Blue Lake.
970-596-9385 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:05, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GET ON UP: 1:55, 5:10, 8:20
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:40, 3:35, 6:30, 9:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 2:40, 5:35, 8:30
- HERCULES 2D: 2:20, 4:40, 7:05
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:05, 3:45
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 12:00, 2:55, 5:50, 8:40
- INTO THE STORM: 12:00, 2:15, 4:35, 7:00, 9:20
- LET S BE COPS: 10:00
- LUCY: 12:20, 2:30, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 12:05, 2:25
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 6:15, 8:45
- STEP UP ALL IN 2D: 3:55, 9:15
- STEP UP ALL IN 3D: 1:15, 6:35
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 11:55, 2:45, 6:20
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3D: 12:10, 8:55
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 4:45, 8:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:05, 3:00, 6:00, 8:55
- GET ON UP: 1:55, 5:15, 8:30
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:30, 2:40, 3:20, 6:15, 8:20, 9:10
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 5:30
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 11:55, 2:50, 5:45, 8:40
- INTO THE STORM: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- LUCY: 12:15, 2:30, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2D: 3:50, 6:25
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3D: 1:15, 9:00
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY: 3:40, 6:25, 9:10
- MOST WANTED MAN: 3:05, 5:50, 8:35