Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014's Lowdown
[The following is a guest Lowdown by LoCO friend Jennifer Savage. She likes the ocean.]
Several years ago, after having a blast at a number of boardshop-sponsored surf movie events, some friends and I wondered if a monthly Surf Night would be something folks would come to. That concept evolved into Ocean Night, which features not only surf flicks, but environmental documentaries, and is now going on its fifth year at the Arcata Theatre Lounge.
I've learned a few things over the years: Don't show documentaries over an hour long unless they are The Cove-level good; end with the surf movie so the surfers will stick around; transitioning between the two can be a challenge; "So, as you can see, climate change and overfishing will kill us all. Now for some sick moves by Rob Machado."
Also: Our community kicks ass when it comes to caring about ocean issues. I love that.
Finding movies that we haven't shown, that will entertain and inspire along with inform, that are visually compelling with an engaging narrative – it's not always easy. Even once I have a film in mind, getting the rights to show it can take a lot of back-and-forth (and often a screening fee).
For whatever reason, however, tonight's Ocean Night came together almost magically.
When I first saw the trailer for Angel Azul (above), I was hooked – I would have shown it for the cinematography alone. The fact that it chronicled an art project turned environmental commentary? Sold. I reached out through the film's website. Within a few minutes, director/producer Marcy Cravat responded. A few minutes later, we'd confirmed a screening. Marcy offered to come up. Perfect.
Three weeks later, artist/surfer/friend Matt Beard messaged me about these folks who'd made a movie that he was featured in coming through town – could they add What the Sea Gives Me (trailer below) onto our August Ocean Night? Of course. Now we had a second film, also stunning-looking, also with the filmmakers Petra and Pierce Michael Kavanagh to be in attendance.
I don't want to jinx anything, but this might be the best Ocean Night ever.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Just me and the open road. And lots and lots of Taco Bell wrappers. And maybe a dog. A dog that doesn't have gas. This dream starts at the Truck Driving Training Informational Meeting at CR.
Ocean Night: Angel Azul and What The Sea Gives Me
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6:30 p.m.
Join the NEC, Humboldt Baykeeper and Surfrider Humboldt for Ocean Night. This month, two amazing movies, one featuring Humboldt's own Matt Beard.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Best in Show (2000)
Eureka Theater / 7 p.m. / $5
The North Coast Journal celebrates the best things in Humboldt with a screening of this classic dog movie. Description from the internet: "A colorful array of characters competes at a national dog show." Woof. Doors a 6 p.m.
442-2970 / Web site / View Comments
Truck Driving Training Informational Meeting
College of the Redwoods Downtown Site / 6-8 p.m. / 18+
"If you are ready to work now, and have the physical ability to drive a truck (big ones, for long periods of time) come on down."
476-4500 / Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 9:20
- AMERICA: 3:50
- AND SO IT GOES: 1:20, 6:25
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 2:55
- GET ON UP: 11:55, 3:00, 6:05, 9:15
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:40, 3:35, 6:30, 9:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 2:40, 5:35, 8:30
- HERCULES 2D: 4:00, 9:10
- HERCULES 3D: 1:25
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:10, 3:45
- INTO THE STORM: 8:00
- LUCY: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:15, 2:45
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 12:05, 2:25, 4:45, 7:00
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:55, 4:30, 7:05, 9:40
- SEX TAPE: 2:05, 4:35, 7:10, 9:30
- TAMMY: 8:45
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3D: 7:00
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 5:10, 8:35
Mill Creek Cinema
- AND SO IT GOES: 1:50
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GET ON UP: 1:55, 5:15, 8:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:30, 3:20, 6:15, 9:10
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 2:40, 5:30, 8:20
- HERCULES 2D: 3:30, 8:35
- HERCULES 3D: 1:00, 6:05
- INTO THE STORM: 8:30
- LUCY: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 11:55, 2:05, 4:15, 6:30
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 4:20, 9:20
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 3D: 7:00
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- MOST WANTED MAN: 3:05, 5:50, 8:35
- WISH I WAS HERE: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10