Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014's Lowdown
I’ll bet some of you grow marijuana. Hell, I’ll bet a handful are you are even pretty good at it. But tell me this, farmer: How adept are you at “depping”?
If you fancy yourself a light depravation growing expert and you’d like to show off your strain(s), perhaps consider entering for a chance to win at the the first ever Golden Tarp Awards, a cannabis competition highlighting the light dep method. (If marijuana cultivation is not your world, “light dep” is a technique that utilizes tarps to manipulate the light cycle of cannabis plants with minimal electricity use. Now you know.)
The ultra-green competition will be held at the Mateel Community Center on September 13 and event organizers are accepting entries in a variety of categories through August 21. What can you win? A tricked out, locally handcrafted bronze greenhouse and, of course, a golden tarp. Pimp your grow!
More details on how to enter (and your opportunity to sound off) can be found here.
# # #
As far as Wednesday's out-and-about options, please note that the Arcata Theatre Lounge's Sci-Fi Pint and Pizza Night crew are screening perhaps their most traditionally crowd-pleasing offering to date. What it be? Well, we'll just say where they're going they don't need roads.
More in your Lowdown listings below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Tonight there's nowhere I'd rather be than at the ATL eating garlic fries and watching my childhood crush trying not to make out with his mom.
Golden Tarp Award Entries Sought
See Event Description / 9 a.m.
The Golden Tarp Award is both a celebration of Humboldt’s cannabis culture and a cannabis competition highlighting the light dep method, a cultivation technique that utilizes tarps to manipulate the light cycle of cannabis plants with minimal electricity use. Entries now accepted through Aug. 21.
Humboldt Coastal Nature Center / 5-6:30 p.m.
Help maintain the native landscaping around the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center and on the green roof, weeding help is especially needed.
444-1397 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
Open Mic with Mike Anderson
Old Town Coffee And Chocolates / 6:30-9 p.m. / Free
Usually some singer/guitarists, a couple spoken word guys and then that one wildcard oddity that makes you go "hmm."
445-8600 / OldTownCoffeeEureka@yahoo.com / Web site / View Comments
- 22 JUMP STREET: 9:20
- AMERICA: 3:50, 8:50
- AND SO IT GOES: 1:20, 6:25
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 6:00, 9:00
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 3D: 2:55
- GET ON UP: 11:55, 3:00, 6:05, 9:15
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:40, 3:35, 6:30, 9:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 2:40, 5:35, 8:30
- HERCULES 2D: 4:00, 9:10
- HERCULES 3D: 1:25, 6:35
- HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 2D: 1:10, 3:45
- LUCY: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:15, 9:40
- MALEFICENT 2D: 12:15, 2:45
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 12:05, 2:25, 4:45, 7:00
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 1:55, 4:30, 7:05, 9:40
- SEX TAPE: 2:05, 4:35, 7:10, 9:30
- TAMMY: 6:15, 8:45
- TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION 2D: 5:10, 8:35
Mill Creek Cinema
- AND SO IT GOES: 1:50, 6:55
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 2D: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GET ON UP: 1:55, 5:15, 8:25
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 12:30, 3:20, 6:15, 9:10
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D: 11:50, 2:40, 5:30, 8:20
- HERCULES 2D: 3:30, 8:35
- HERCULES 3D: 1:00, 6:05
- LUCY: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE 2D: 11:55, 2:05, 4:15, 6:30, 8:40
- PURGE: ANARCHY: 4:20, 9:20
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2D: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- MOST WANTED MAN: 3:05, 5:50, 8:35
- WISH I WAS HERE: 3:50, 6:30, 9:10