Thursday, April 17, 2014's Lowdown
Your Humboldt Thursday is highlighted with continuing events — we’ve already discussed current tall ship tours, birding gatherings and student-run film festivals in previous Lowdowns — but also some good one-offs:
- Up at Jambalaya, Brooklyn-based three-piece band Pleasure Drones play an almost mathematical funk and are fronted by the unique guitar wizardry provided by Will Bernard, who previously garnered a Grammy nomination for his work in the group T.J. Kirk.
- Jamaican-born, super lovey-dovey reggae star Prezident Brown will rain positivity into the ear canals of fans gathered at HumBrews this evening. Get an idea of his particular brand of roots in the clip below for his song “I Love Jah.”
- If you’ve been waiting for an opportunity to dress up like a mermaid in public (and for a good cause no less) then head on over to The Siren’s Song Tavern who are hosting the DJ dancey Sailors and Mermaids fundraiser benefitting Six Rivers Planned Parenthood. Pull on your mermaid tail unless you’re super addicted to strolling around on those … what’s the word again? Feet?
The Lowdown Fun Committee
I'm partial to the Compost Mountain Boys who are warm and rich smelling, just like an actual compost mountain. Hopefully they are worm free.
Let's go with PonyKiller at the Logger Bar Tonight for no other reason than to make a reference to Horace McCoy's They Shoot Horses Don't They? [$5 and under award]
Godwit Days Spring Migration Bird Festival
Various / 6:30 a.m. / $35 / Free Under 18
A celebration of the Marbled Godwits and all the birds that visit the north coast during Spring Migration. Nearly 100 field trips, workshops and social events to choose from. Full schedule online.
826-7050 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Sailors and Mermaids
The Siren's Song Tavern / 6 p.m. / Free / 21+
Throw on your mermaid tail or sailor hat for a pint night fundraiser benefitting Six Rivers Planned Parenthood. DJ dancing with sea creatures.
442-2961 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
SCRAP Humboldt Volunteer Training
SCRAP Humboldt / 6:30-7:30 a.m. / Free / 18+
Humboldt County's first creative reuse center is looking for great people to help out in its reuse shop, workshop space, at events and more.
822-2452 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain Schedule
Humboldt Bay / 4 p.m. / $3 / $43 sailing events
Lady Washington arrives in Eureka April 10 for an 11-day visit featuring public sailing excursions, walk-on tours, and educational programs for K-12 students. Her companion, Hawaiian Chieftain, follows on April 15. Click here for full list of tours and sailing options.
Future Perfect: Time Capsules in Reagan Country
College of the Redwoods / 4:20-5:30 p.m. / Free
Art, history, and political science project by Daniel Tucker, a Chicago-based artist. Come hear Daniel talk about his interesting and amusing work in progress, along with some of his other related artistic activities.
476-4118 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Ghost Forest Lecture
Kate Buchanan Room / 5:30-7 p.m. / Free
Author-activist Greg King will presents a personal history of the ancient redwood ecosystem and the struggles to protect it.
826-3653 / firstname.lastname@example.org / View Comments
47th Humboldt International Film Festival
Van Duzer Theater / 7 p.m. / $20 4 Night Pass / $8 General Public / $5 All students / $3 HSU Students w/ID
"The world’s oldest student-run film festival, the HFF creates a unique venue for traditional films and alternative digital media that enjoys an international reputation for supporting and celebrating independent filmmakers working in traditional, experimental and non-traditional modes."
826-4113 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) (Revised)
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 Senior/Student
Parody of the 37 plays written by William Shakespeare with all of them being performed (in shortened form) in about 97 minutes by only three actors.
442-6278 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
The Siren's Song Tavern / 8 p.m.-2 a.m. / Free
"Taste purple slaps from the soul y'all! Join us for this month's musical excursion, blending past and future sounds, bending genre's, and levitating the dance floor."
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Roots 'N' Culture Night
Robert Goodman Wines/Machine Works / 9 p.m. / Free / 21+
Selectahs T Aura, Noble Tobal and Pozitive iDiaz team up with Special Guests for a night of excellent vibes.
826-9463 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 11:50, 3:00, 6:10, 9:20
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 3D: 11:35, 2:40, 5:45, 8:50
- DIVERGENT: 11:40, 2:50, 6:00, 9:10
- DRAFT DAY: 12:50, 3:35, 6:20, 9:00
- GOD S NOT DEAD: 12:20, 3:05, 5:50, 8:35
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 1:45, 4:20, 6:55, 9:25
- HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: 12:55, 3:30, 6:05, 8:40
- NOAH: 1:55, 5:05
- OCULUS: 1:30, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- RAID 2: 2:00, 5:30, 8:55
- RIO 2 2D: 12:15, 2:05, 2:55, 4:45, 5:35, 8:10
- RIO 2 3D: 11:30, 7:25
- TRANSCENDENCE: 8:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 2:55, 8:45, 9:20
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 3D: 5:25, 9:20
- DIVERGENT: 2:50, 6:00
- DRAFT DAY: 3:30, 6:15, 9:00
- GOD S NOT DEAD: 6:35
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 2D: 4:05
- NOAH: 2:40, 5:45, 8:50
- OCULUS: 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- RIO 2 2D: 4:45, 6:05, 7:25, 9:40
- RIO 2 3D: 2:45, 8:30
- TRANSCENDENCE: 9:00
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 5:45, 8:50
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- LUNCHBOX: 3:40, 6:10, 8:40