The Choir Performing in Arcata Tonight Sang With Bono Once, So There
Tuesday night’s two highest profile Humboldt shows are a contrast in styles/perceived class:
- Up at the Van Duzer Theatre, CenterArts is presenting 26-member-strong South African a capella and tribal rhythms ensemble the Soweto Gospel Choir. In short, Soweto is a township bordering Johannesburg South Africa where many Black South Africans were evicted to under apartheid. As far as the choir itself, perhaps the most notable bit of trivia to Western audiences is the fact that they were asked to provide backing vocals to a number of U2 songs to promote the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, and also joined Bono in singing at Desmond Tutu’s 80th birthday shindig (see above). Bono is a big deal, you know.
- Be sure to note the venue change for the Cunninlynguists show. The southern rap trio was initially scheduled to perform at the Arcata Theatre Lounge but, for whatever reason, the rhymes will flow at Jambalaya tonight (all tickets will be honored). If you need to know if these are lyrical expressions you need in your life, sample “South California” off their latest album Strange Journey Volume Three below. (ALSO note: The monthly comedy open mic that would have normally fallen on this day at the Jam has been moved to Big Pete's Pizza. Ply your yuks there tonight, rookies.)
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
HUMbucks Exchange [$5 (Federal Reserve Notes) and under award]
New Designs for Fundraising
Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center / 6-8 p.m. / $195 / $165 NorCAN members / 18+
An overview of all the tools and techniques used to identify, cultivate and solicit big gifts and develop, market and manage capital campaigns, planned giving and major gifts programs.
661-4665 / Web site / View Comments
Poets Jerry Martien and Joanna Reichhold
Humboldt County Library / 6:30 p.m. / Free
"Jerry has lived here since 1970, as a truck driver, night watchman, bookstore clerk, editor, doorman, and for thirty years a carpenter. Joanna Reichhold performs poems, original songs, and sea chanties, and lives in salmon country from Cordova to Arcata. "
269-1905 / Web site / View Comments
Karaoke w/ Chris Clay
Cher-Ae Heights Casino / 8 p.m.
Your Lowdown will go on the record as saying that Chris Clay is Humboldt's most pro karaoke jockey. We know this stuff.
800-684-2464 / Web site / View Comments
The Jam / 8:30 p.m. / $20 / $15 adv. / 21+
(Note: This show was to originally take place at the Arcata Theatre Lounge and was moved to Jambalaya, in case you think we screwed up. We have not.) Hip hop trio samples genres from psych-rock to blues, New Romantic to polka.
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 2D: 1:45, 7:00
- BAD WORDS: 12:00, 2:25, 4:55, 7:20, 9:40
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 11:50, 3:00, 6:10, 9:20
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 3D: 11:35, 2:45, 5:55, 9:05
- DIVERGENT: 11:40, 1:25, 2:50, 4:40, 6:00, 7:55, 9:10
- GOD S NOT DEAD: 12:15, 3:05, 5:50, 8:40
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 2D: 12:45, 3:15, 5:35
- MUPPETS MOST WANTED: 11:45, 2:35, 5:25, 8:10
- NEED FOR SPEED 2D: 3:35, 9:25
- NOAH: 11:40, 1:10, 2:40, 4:30, 5:45, 7:45, 8:55
- NON-STOP: 8:05
- SABOTAGE: 4:20, 9:35
- WIND RISES: 12:35, 6:30
Mill Creek Cinema
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 2D: 4:15, 9:30
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 3:10, 6:15, 9:20
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 3D: 4:55, 8:10
- DIVERGENT: 2:50, 6:00, 9:10
- GOD S NOT DEAD: 3:20, 6:05, 8:50
- MR PEABODY AND SHERMAN 2D: 3:05, 5:30, 7:55
- MUPPETS MOST WANTED: 2:55, 5:40, 8:20
- NOAH: 2:40, 5:50, 9:00
- SABOTAGE: 6:50
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER 2D: 5:45, 8:50
- GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: 4:10, 6:40, 9:10
- NOAH: 5:25, 8:30