Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013's Lowdown
Is it Saturday? No? Then why is there so much respectable on today's Lowdown? Seriously, Humboldt is spoiled with musical options Tuesday:
- Singer/songwriter and HSU library fugitive Matt the Electrician foolishly returns to the scene of his most famous crime -- again! -- to turn in an intimate set of songs at the Robert Goodman Wines Tasting Room. Bring a hanky.
- One of HumCo's hottest bands Gunsafe are finally ready to birth the child they spent countless grueling studio hours crafting. The country/punk outfit releases their album Gravy Boat and simultaneously says goodbye to its banjo player Ethan. Haymarket Squares open.
- Retire from guitar playing after tonight when the Arcata Playhouse gets all Django-ish with virtuoso Gypsy jazz wizard Gonzalo Bergara. The Buenos Aires-born guitarist is touring with his quartet (another guitar/violin/upright bass) in support of their album Walking Home.
- If you've never seen a show at The Works, you're doing life wrong. Rectify that error in judgment if you need to tonight when there will be no less than three (3) bands determined to be seen as part of the Burger Records Burgerama tour.
See? Your night is already packed and we didn't even get to The Dude's event! Get out, America.
A Place at the Table
Kate Buchanan Room / 4:30-8 p.m. / Free
Free community screening of the critically acclaimed documentary examining the crisis of food insecurity, hunger, obesity and food access in America and the policies that have perpetuated the problem.
445-3166 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Masters at Moonstone
Moonstone Grill / 6-9:30 p.m. / $100 / 18+
Seven of the region’s master chefs have collectively designed a seven course culinary experience featuring local ingredients. Proceeds benefit the Community Alliance with Family Farmers’ (CAFF) Farm to School Programs, and Humboldt County Office of Education’s (HCOE) Harvest of the Month Program.
826-0233 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Gonzalo Bergara Quartet
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $15 / $13 students & members
Buenos Aires virtuoso composer and lead guitarist forges his own style of progressive Gypsy jazz.
822-1575 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Constitution Day Quiz Bowl
HSU Native Forum / 5:30-7:30 p.m. / Free
Teams of HSU students and faculty, joined by local elementary and high school faculty and students, face off in a battle of Constitution knowledge. Prizes!
826-4494 / email@example.com / View Comments
Adventures Edge presents The Radical Reels Tour
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m.
Sunday, September 16 Doors at 6 PM Show at 7 PM $15 at the Door $12 advanced tickets available at Adventures Edge in Arcata and Eureka $7 Youth 12 & Under Adventures Edge presents The Radical Reels Tour! Every year, the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival presents the wildly popular Radical...
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:50, 4:20
- ELYSIUM: 12:05, 2:40, 5:30, 8:15
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 1:20, 4:05, 6:45, 8:30, 9:25
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 12:00, 3:05, 6:05, 9:05
- MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES: 11:50, 2:50, 5:50
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 2D: 12:45, 6:00
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 3D: 3:25, 8:35
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US EXTENDED FAN CUT 2D: 12:45, 6:00
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US EXTENDED FAN CUT 3D: 3:25, 8:35
- PLANES 2D: 1:30, 3:50, 6:10
- RIDDICK: 11:55, 2:50, 5:45, 8:40, 9:30
- THE FAMILY: 12:55, 3:40, 6:25, 6:55, 8:20, 9:10
- THE WORLD S END: 12:20, 3:00, 5:40, 8:50
- THIS IS THE END: 1:45, 4:25, 7:00, 9:35
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:05, 3:45, 6:30, 9:15
- KICK-ASS 2: 7:30
Mill Creek Cinema
- ELYSIUM: 3:50, 6:30
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 3:10, 5:45, 8:25, 9:15
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES: 3:15, 6:20
- RIDDICK: 2:55, 5:50, 8:45, 9:20
- THE FAMILY: 3:30, 6:10, 7:05, 8:55
- THIS IS THE END: 4:30, 9:40
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- BLUE JASMINE: 4:15, 6:40, 9:10
- SPECTACULAR NOW: 3:50, 6:10, 8:30
- THE FAMILY: 3:40, 6:20, 9:00