Friday, Sept. 13, 2013's Lowdown
Prepare thyself for a very rainbow-colored weekend, Humboldt. 'Tis the time of year when all good people allow themselves to be a little gay. Humboldt Pride Week wraps Friday and Saturday with a slew of events that the Lowdown is just gonna go ahead and conveniently list for ya here:
- Friday: All the glorious flamboyance of the Eureka Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence will be put into every "B-3!" and "I-17!" called at the FriGAY the 13th Bingo event held in the Home Ec Room at Redwood Acres Fairgrounds. B-I-N-G-Oh my!
- Saturday: There will likely be less tanks than at the parade held in Fortuna earlier this week, but we wouldn't be surprised to see some fabulous soldiers marching in Saturday's Humboldt Pride Parade through Old Town. The procession will make its way to Halvorsen Park where the festival portion of the day will feature all the music, food and vendor booths human beings have come to expect at such events. Save your strength for ze afterparty laughs at Nocturnum facilitated by SF comedian Marga Gomez -- her promotional material contains a blurb from Robin Williams describing her as a "lesbian Lenny Bruce" which is too good for us to not pass on. So we just did.
There's plenty of other stuff going on this weekend, HumCo -- see your Lowdown below. Just make sure to take in some Pride too.
Not So Gospel Friday the 13th Celebration
Arcata Playhouse / 6 p.m. / $10
Benefit for Arcata Interfaith Gospel Choir featuring bands featuring AIGC members: Jenni and David and the Sweet Soul Band, Asha Nan, Groove Quest, True Gospel Singers, Fire Sign and Fickle Heart.
407-6182 / Web site / View Comments
FriGAY the 13th Bingo
Redwood Acres Fairgrounds / 7 p.m. / $15
A glittering game of B-I-N-G-O! Part of Humboldt Pride week. Benefiting the Eureka Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and Humboldt Pride, Inc.
445-3037 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Bump Foundation plays James Brown
Blue Lake Casino and Hotel / 9 p.m. / 21+
The hardest working tribute night in show business. Featuring Madi Simmons himself as the Godfather of Soul.
668-9770 / Web site / View Comments
Good Luck Thrift Store Outfit and The Preservation
Humboldt Brews / 9:30 p.m. / $10 / 21+
An Americana drenched evening.
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Truth in Wonder
Redwood Raks / 8 p.m. / $5 / $10 general / $5 students, seniors, children under 12
Experimental dance project choreographed by artist in residence Lela Annotto.
601-7663 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Becky's New Car
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m.
Becky Foster, is caught in middle age, middle management and in a middling marriage—with no prospects for change on the horizon. Then one night a socially inept and grief-stricken millionaire stumbles into the car dealership where Becky works.
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:50, 4:20
- ELYSIUM: 12:05, 2:40, 5:30, 8:15
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 1:20, 4:05, 6:45, 8:30, 9:25
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 12:00, 3:05, 6:05, 9:05
- MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES: 11:50, 2:50, 5:50
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 2D: 12:45, 6:00
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 3D: 3:25, 8:35
- PLANES 2D: 1:30, 3:50, 6:10
- RIDDICK: 11:55, 2:50, 5:45, 8:40, 9:30
- THE FAMILY: 12:55, 3:40, 6:25, 6:55, 8:20, 9:10
- THE WORLD S END: 12:20, 3:00, 5:40, 8:50
- THIS IS THE END: 1:45, 4:25, 7:00, 9:35
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:05, 3:45, 6:30, 9:15
- KICK-ASS 2: 7:30
- BLUE JASMINE: 4:15, 6:40, 9:10
- SPECTACULAR NOW: 3:50, 6:10, 8:30
- THE FAMILY: 3:40, 6:20, 9:00