Friday, Oct. 11, 2013's Lowdown
Remember last week when you were surfing and your left thigh got chomped by a Great White while simultaneously you held citizenship in a country that doesn't provide universal health care? Remember?! No, you don't. 'Cuz you are not surfer/CR English teacher Jay Scrivner, whose shark encounter -- as these things tend to do -- garnered worldwide coverage and reinforced the Sharktober meme.
But this is Humboldt and we dig on community. Thus, the fine folk at Humboldt Surfrider are donating all the proceeds from their monthly Ocean Night film screening, Friday at the Arcata Theatre Lounge, to lessening the force of the financial bite inflicted by Scrivner's medical bills. Take that, bite!
And what movie will Surfrider be showing Friday night that they've had planned for for months? Oh, it's called Surfing and Sharks and its about ... uh oh.
Other Friday options in your Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Out of respect for today's sexy Republicans, I'm shutting down fun for the weekend.
Barn Dance! I can totally pass for a twelve year old. See, Randy Newman? Short people DO have a reason to live. It's called barn dancing.
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6:30 p.m.
All proceeds from this month's screening will go to cover expenses incurred by Jay Scrivner during his recent encounter with a great white near Bunkers.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Raks / 7:30-10:30 p.m. / $7 / Free Kids under 12 / $6 Students, seniors, HFS members
Blake Ritter and Sam McNeill play fantastic tunes to keep your feet moving while Sue Moon calls the dances. Sponsored by Humboldt Folklife Society.
502-1678 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Symphony Fall Concert
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $20 / $28 premium
Featuring Humboldt native Ryan MacEvoy McCullough performing Schumann's only Piano Concerto. Also includes Schubert's Overture to Rosamund and Haydn's Symphony No. 82: L'ours (The Bear).
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Loleta Antique Show
Loleta Fireman's Pavilion / 10 a.m.-7 p.m. / $3
Organized and sponsored by the Loleta Volunteer Fire Department since 1971. One of the largest antique shows in Northern California.
Transforming Rape Culture
College of the Redwoods / 3-4:30 p.m. / Free
CR sociology department presents a series of discussions. Participants are encouraged to talk more deeply about changing our society’s culture in regard to sexualized violence.
476-4539 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
HSU Natural History Museum Arts! Arcata Celebration
Humboldt State Natural History Museum / 6-9 p.m. / Free
Music by For Folk Sake! including the Dean and Associate Dean of the College of Natural Resources. A fond farewell to our old building.
826-4479 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
You Can't Take It With You
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 student/senior
NCRT production of the comedy awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1937. Directed by Mack Owen.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
Sierra Rose Band
The Siren's Song Tavern / 9 p.m.
Formed from a cross section of some of the most diverse musicians Humboldt County has to offer.
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 11:55, 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 12:05, 2:40, 3:45, 5:10, 7:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 1:25, 6:10
- DON JON: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:05, 9:35
- GRAVITY 2D: 2:00, 6:45
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:45, 3:10, 4:20, 5:35, 8:00, 9:10
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 1:10, 3:55, 6:35, 9:20
- MACHETE KILLS: 1:30, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- PRISONERS: 1:15, 4:50, 8:20
- RIDDICK: 12:10, 5:45
- RUNNER RUNNER: 1:45, 4:05, 6:30, 8:50
- RUSH: 12:15, 3:15, 6:15, 9:15
- THE FAMILY: 3:00, 8:40
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 8:35
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:10, 5:20, 8:30
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:15, 3:45, 6:15
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 8:40
- DON JON: 2:00, 4:20, 6:40, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:40
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:00, 2:20, 7:00, 9:20
- MACHETE KILLS: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- PRISONERS: 1:30, 4:55, 8:20
- RUNNER RUNNER: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:15, 9:35
- RUSH: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 5:35, 8:40
- ENOUGH SAID: 4:25, 6:45, 9:10
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:40, 7:00, 9:20