Q: Does Arcata have three Thursday night shows competing for your almost weekend attention? A: You bet your sweet bippy:
- Mark Farina, Arcata Theatre Lounge: Every time this guy comes to Humboldt we relook up "mushroom jazz" -- the genre Farina fancies himself the king of -- only to be reminded that he invented it. Dammit. Here, you look it up.
- The Blakes, HumBrews: Every time this band comes to town we have to hear about how they ooze sex, rawness and rock purity (and that they stayed at Jennifer Savage's house once). They're like the world at-large's version of The Trouble. Hey, guess who's opening?
- Scott Pemberton Trio, Jambalaya: Every time these guys come to town … well, maybe they've never been here. So below is what they look like on YouTube.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Vino and Vinyl! Because they called it vino. And because it's classier to be a vino-o than a wino. Also Robert Goodman has a great Caesar for putting something in before the bottle and a half of vino.
Polls show that you disapprove of incumbents on principle, but what are you doing about it? Subject the MCSD candidates to YOUR PERSONAL BLEND OF SKEPTICISM, then reconsider your hurtful words at The Blakes' show.
McKinleyville Community Service District Candidate Forum
Azaela Hall / 7:30-9 p.m. / Free
Candidates for three seats are incumbents David R. Couch, Dennis Mayo and Bill Wennerholm; the challenger is George A. Wheeler.
Scott Pemberton Trio
The Jam / 9 p.m. / $10 / 21+
Oregon guitarist brings his trio to the Jam. “Classic rock, jazz, psychedelia and everything in between." Locals Liquid Kactus open.
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 9 p.m.-1:30 a.m. / $30 / $25 limited presale / $20 1st 100 tickets sold / 21+
Night of funky deep grooves from the #MushroomJazz legend.
822-1220 / LucidDreamLabProductions@gmail.com / Web site / View Comments
Sirens Song Slam
The Siren's Song Tavern / 7:30 p.m. / $5 / 21+
Slam poets spill their guts for the numerical scores of five random judges. Special feature from local poet and activist Jerry Martien.
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $10
Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the very first production of Thornton Wilder's Pulitzer Prize winning play.
786-5483 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
You Can't Take It With You
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 student/senior
NCRT production of the comedy awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1937. Directed by Mack Owen.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
- BLUE JASMINE: 6:00, 8:35
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 8:30
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 12:05, 2:40, 3:45, 5:10, 7:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 1:25, 6:10
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:00, 3:30
- DON JON: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:05, 9:30
- GRAVITY 2D: 1:45, 6:35
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:45, 3:10, 4:20, 5:35, 8:00, 9:10
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 1:20, 4:05, 6:50, 9:25
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 11:55, 5:40
- PRISONERS: 1:30, 4:55, 8:20
- RIDDICK: 2:50, 8:40
- RUNNER RUNNER: 2:00, 4:10, 6:45, 9:00
- RUSH: 12:15, 3:15, 6:15, 9:15
- THE FAMILY: 12:20, 3:00, 5:45, 8:25
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 3:45, 6:15
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 8:40
- DON JON: 4:20, 6:40, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:55
- GRAVITY 3D: 7:00, 9:20
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 3:10, 5:45, 8:20
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 3:30
- PRISONERS: 5:05, 8:30
- RUNNER RUNNER: 4:40, 7:15, 9:35
- RUSH: 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- THE FAMILY: 6:30
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 9:10
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- PRISONERS: 5:15, 8:30
- THANKS FOR SHARING: 4:00, 6:30, 9:00