Tuesday, Oct. 8's Lowdown
Hey, guess what? Your regular Lowdown correspondent is out today, which means that for once in our goddamn lives we can have a sophisticated view of Humboldt County cultural happenings. If you little creeps want to go do your drugs to blap 'n' whomp trance tracks, or whatever they're calling it these days, then hey: Have at it. Today, at least, we do not have to know all about it.
And this is a great day for the adults to take over! Because you've got not one but two worthy musical options tonight in Arcata. And when I say music, I mean people playing actual instruments with melody and rhythm and that sort of thing. Go look it up in a book if you have to.
Your temporary Lowdown is probably most excited about The Claudia Quintet, the avant-jazz outfit out of NYC that'll be blowing minds at the Arcata Playhouse tonight at 8 p.m. You can get a little taste of their deep polyphonic groove -- and their lead accordion soloist (whaaaaat?!?) -- in the following clip, recorded at the prestigious Jazz Baltica festival a few years ago. Click play and settle in, son:
But right across town, in newly restabilized Fulkerson Recital Hall, you've got Van Cliburn gold medalist Vadym Kholodenko giving one of his coveted recitals. If the clip below is anything to go by, your temporary Lowdown correspondent is not 100 percent sold. Sure, the kid has the moves. No doubt. But, as YouTube commenter "705JRC" notes:
Hm, interesting. I thought they taught "rubato" to young pianists? Is that going out of style? How about "arrival points" and "structure" ? Am I speaking a foreign language?
Oh, snapped. And let me add that his ultra-emotive showboating is disrespectful of the source material, indicating a want of maturity. Perhaps the show is worth attending just so you can say, in 40 years, that you saw him way back when.
Go to one of these shows! Either will serve as an adequate aperitif for this weekend's glorious return of hometown hero Ryan MacEvoy McCullough, who joins the Eureka Symphony for their debut concert of the season -- a sampling of Teutonic titans Schumann, Schubert and Haydn. Meaty stuff, here.
Or, I dunno -- you could go see people talk about their pee-pees, I guess.
-- Hank Sims
The Lowdown Fun Committee
The Claudia Quintet
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m.
Formed by drummer/composer John Hollenbeck in 1997, this NYC ensemble’s sound continues to explore the edge without alienating the mainstream, proving that genre-defying music can be for everyone.
822-1575 / Web site / View Comments
- BLUE JASMINE: 6:00, 8:35
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 12:05, 2:40, 3:45, 5:10, 7:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 1:25, 6:10
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:00, 3:30
- DON JON: 12:00, 2:20, 4:40, 7:05, 9:30
- GRAVITY 2D: 1:45, 6:35
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:45, 3:10, 4:20, 5:35, 8:00, 9:10
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 1:20, 4:05, 6:50, 9:25
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 11:55, 5:40
- PRISONERS: 1:30, 4:55, 8:20
- RIDDICK: 2:50, 8:40
- RUNNER RUNNER: 2:00, 4:10, 6:45, 9:00
- RUSH: 12:15, 3:15, 6:15, 9:15
- THE FAMILY: 12:20, 3:00, 5:45, 8:25
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 3:45, 6:15
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 8:40
- DON JON: 4:20, 6:40, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:55
- GRAVITY 3D: 7:00, 9:20
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 3:10, 5:45, 8:20
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 3:30
- PRISONERS: 5:05, 8:30
- RUNNER RUNNER: 4:40, 7:15, 9:35
- RUSH: 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- THE FAMILY: 6:30
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 9:10
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- PRISONERS: 5:15, 8:30
- THANKS FOR SHARING: 4:00, 6:30, 9:00