Monday, Nov. 18, 2013's Lowdown
-SCROLL DOWN FOR STREAM-
It's a rare day on Humboldt's entertainment calendar where Shaggy, a man with multiple, international number one hits, doesn't carry the most hype. We will refer to such a day as "Monday."
Tonight, multi-instrumentalist/sonic collage-assembler Andrew Bird will excrete too much talent on the Van Duzer Theatre stage, which is all well and good. But what we're especially excited about here in LoCO land is that Mr. Bird will perform a special, intimate concert that will air aurally on KHUM 104.3/104.7 and stream aurally/visually on KHUM and right here on the Lost Coast Outpost round 'bouts 4:30 p.m. (We'll remind you.)
If you are unfamiliar with Bird's aura, this trailer for his documentary/concert film Fever Year (below) may help you discern his vibe.
Anywho, come back this afternoon! We'll hang out -- you, us, Bird. Good times.
- STREAM WILL GO LIVE 4:30 p.m.-ish -
The Lowdown Fun Committee
You call me Mr. Boombastic, really fantastic? Touch me on the back you call me mister BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM...Ooh Eee, baby please, wanna take you to an island with a sweet cool breeze. You no feel like driving, baby, hand me tha keys and I will take you to a place and set your mind at ease.
Mateel Community Center / 8 p.m.-midnight
Jamaica's only Diamond selling dancehall reggae artist with 10 million plus albums sold in his career will perform all of his smash hits and support his new album "Out of Many, One Music" backed by a full band and sure to amaze reggae fans.
923-3368 / Web site / View Comments
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m. / $45 / $22 HSU students
"Early jazz, country blues, gypsy music—all of these early influences still percolate within Andrew Bird's unique brand of indie-pop. Using a looping pedal, violin, and his unearthly talent for whistling, Bird creates densely layered sonic creations onstage."
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Jambalaya / 9 p.m. / 21+
Local funk jam hosted by DJ Rickshaw, B. Swizlo and Pete Ciotti celebrating those who've artistically enriched Humboldt County.
822-4766 / Web site / View Comments
- ABOUT TIME: 12:10, 3:10, 6:05, 9:05
- BEST MAN HOLIDAY: 12:25, 3:20, 6:15, 9:10
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:00, 5:15, 8:20
- CARRIE: 5:05, 9:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:45, 4:10
- COUNSELOR: 6:30, 9:00
- ENDER S GAME: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 8:40
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 12:10, 1:05, 3:35, 5:50, 8:10
- FRUITVALE STATION: 2:50, 7:30
- GRAVITY 2D: 12:00
- GRAVITY 3D: 2:15, 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 2:20, 4:55, 7:15, 9:35
- LAST VEGAS: 12:55, 3:45, 6:20, 8:55
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 1:10, 3:05, 4:00, 6:45, 8:45, 9:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 12:15, 5:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 5:20, 8:25
- ENDER S GAME: 3:35, 6:20, 9:10
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 3:10, 7:50
- FREE BIRDS 3D: 4:45
- GRAVITY 2D: 5:30
- GRAVITY 3D: 7:05, 9:20
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- LAST VEGAS: 3:30, 6:00, 8:40
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 2:50, 5:40, 8:30
- 12 YEARS A SLAVE: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:55, 7:15, 9:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 3:50, 6:30, 9:15