Friday, Nov. 15, 2013's Lowdown
Thank God it's the day that it is! Your Lowdown just confirmed that tickets are still available for the (at least) twice in a lifetime opportunity to see surf guitar innovator Dick Dale in the Scotia's old growth redwood cathedral, the Winema Theatre. Before you go, watch the clip below in which Dick Dale yaks about the time his song "Miserlou" almost didn't end up in Pulp Fiction.
Scotia too far away? Thankfully this is a packed Friday as evidenced by your Lowdown listings farther down. Scroll around. You'll find something in your neck of the forest.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
While you hippies are all at Humbrews for Hot Buttered Rum, I plan on getting some culture at Crush while watching Jeff Demark perform. Dude can weave a tale better than anyone, I tell you what.
Van Duzer Theater / 7:30-9 p.m. / $10 / Free limited free seating for HSU students / $8 students & seniors / 18+
Who in the world was Alexander von Humboldt—explorer, visionary and godfather of ecology? Explore the wonder of his voyages to the outer and inner unknown in this HSU original production featuring music, dance and spectacle.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $10 Thursdays
"Deliciously wry and poignant play centers on three US Navy personnel, and one Navy wife, stationed at a base in Japan in the mid 1950’s – a little bit Kabuki, a little bit From Here to Eternity."
Jeff DeMark's Writing My Way Out of Adolescence
Crush / 8 p.m. / $10 / 18+
Once-a-year performance of DeMark's first full-length solo show about growing up Catholic and a little absurd in Racine Wisconsin with some wild adventures, a whiff of psychedelia and a bit of real danger thrown into the mix.
825-0390 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Winema Theater / 8 p.m. / $25 / $30 at the door
Dick Dale has been a defining sound in surf guitar around the globe since the late 1950's. Live art by Matt Beard. Sponsored by Ferndale Music Company.
786-7030 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt County Library / 7 p.m. / Free
North Coast Storytellers invite YOU to come and share a 5-7 minute story OR just come to listen.
822-4477 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Eureka High School Auditorium / 7:30-10 p.m. / $8 / $5 students
Shakespeare's most popular comedy, portrays the adventures of four young lovers and a group of amateur actors, their interactions with woodland fairies and a duke and duchess.
441-1735 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- ABOUT TIME: 12:10, 3:10, 6:05, 9:05
- BEST MAN HOLIDAY: 12:25, 3:20, 6:15, 9:10
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:00, 5:15, 8:20
- CARRIE: 5:05, 9:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:45, 4:10
- COUNSELOR: 6:30, 9:00
- ENDER S GAME: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 8:40
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 12:10, 1:05, 3:35, 5:50, 8:10
- FRUITVALE STATION: 2:50, 7:30
- GRAVITY 2D: 12:00
- GRAVITY 3D: 2:15, 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 2:20, 4:55, 7:15, 9:35
- LAST VEGAS: 12:55, 3:45, 6:20, 8:55
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 1:10, 3:05, 4:00, 6:45, 8:45, 9:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 12:15, 5:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:15, 5:20, 8:25
- ENDER S GAME: 12:40, 3:35, 6:20, 9:10
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 12:00, 12:50, 3:10, 7:50
- FREE BIRDS 3D: 4:45
- GRAVITY 2D: 5:30
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:15, 2:30, 7:05, 9:20
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 12:10, 2:30, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- LAST VEGAS: 12:55, 3:30, 6:00, 8:40
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 12:30, 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 12:00, 2:50, 5:40, 8:30
- 12 YEARS A SLAVE: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:55, 7:15, 9:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 3:50, 6:30, 9:15