Can We Interest You in a Play About Alexander von Humboldt?
"This is a guy who was a rock star in his day," says Humboldt Unbound director Michael Fields of the famous subject of his play which debuts Thursday night. You like rock stars, right?
The namesake of the county you're almost assuredly reading this in, Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859) was a best-selling author, explorer and ground-breaking ecologist who went on to have his name forever associated with top shelf ganja. While that last aspect of his life is not addressed in the production, Humboldt's journey to South America plays a large part, as do his relationships with his family and his travel buddy botanist Aime Bonpland.
The project is very much a collaboration of HSU alum Fields, HSU world languages and culture professor Francisco de la Cabada and local musician Tim Gray (there are songs). It stars both HSU student Mark Teeter (pictured, guy on the right) and HSU geography professor Stephen Cunha who play the younger and older versions of the title role, respectively.
Do you want this history lesson? For the next two weeks, Humboldt (county residents) can consume the life of Humboldt (the man) in theatrical form at the Van Duzer Theatre -- Thursdays through Saturday with one matinee on Sunday, Nov. 17. Less historically motivated gatherings in your Thursday Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Pressure Anya at Nocturnum. These two cute as buttons DJs are a great time. An added bonus game to play is: Guess what Anya's hair is doing tonight?
Piet Dalmolen at Robert Goodman's. That guy can play a guitar. Piet that is. [$5 and under award]
Maybe Diego will loan you his umbrella, because those Pimps of Joytime are gonna make you SWEAT. That means the dude dancing next to you will be too. You don't want that on your new dress, let me tell ya. Without a doubt, Humbrews is the place to be sweating tonight.
Van Duzer Theater / 7:30-9 p.m. / $10 / Free limited free seating for HSU students / $8 students & seniors / 18+
Who in the world was Alexander von Humboldt—explorer, visionary and godfather of ecology? Explore the wonder of his voyages to the outer and inner unknown in this HSU original production featuring music, dance and spectacle.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $10 Thursdays
"Deliciously wry and poignant play centers on three US Navy personnel, and one Navy wife, stationed at a base in Japan in the mid 1950’s – a little bit Kabuki, a little bit From Here to Eternity."
The Whale (2011)
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6:30 p.m. / $3
Every month: Ocean Night! From majestic documentaries to epic surf flicks, explore the great blue sea with Ocean Conservancy, Humboldt Surfrider and Humboldt Baykeeper.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Eureka High School Auditorium / 7:30-10 p.m. / $8 / $5 students
Shakespeare's most popular comedy, portrays the adventures of four young lovers and a group of amateur actors, their interactions with woodland fairies and a duke and duchess.
441-1735 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:00, 5:15, 8:20
- CARRIE: 4:35, 9:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 12:10, 4:20
- COUNSELOR: 1:00, 3:40, 6:20, 9:00
- ENDER S GAME: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 6:30, 8:40, 9:20
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 11:55, 1:10, 2:15, 3:35, 5:55, 7:05, 8:15
- FREE BIRDS 3D: 4:55
- FRUITVALE STATION: 2:25, 7:25
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:15
- GRAVITY 3D: 1:50, 6:40, 9:05
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 1:15, 2:30, 3:45, 4:50, 6:05, 8:30, 9:35
- LAST VEGAS: 12:45, 3:25, 6:10, 8:50
- THOR MARATHON 3D: 2:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 8:00
- WIZARD OF OZ 3D: 12:00, 2:25
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 5:25, 8:30
- CARRIE: 6:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 4:15
- COUNSELOR: 3:45, 6:25, 9:05
- ENDER S GAME: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 3:10, 5:35
- FREE BIRDS 3D: 7:55
- GRAVITY 2D: 9:20
- GRAVITY 3D: 4:35
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- LAST VEGAS: 3:25, 6:00, 8:40
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 8:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:40, 6:55, 9:10
- INEQUALITY FOR ALL: 3:50, 6:05, 8:20
- LAST VEGAS: 4:00, 6:30, 9:00