Friday, Nov. 1, 2013's Lowdown
(Friday: The Coup, New York Gypsy All-Stars, Melvin Seals...)
Let's assume if you're reading these words you survived Halloween. Way to be. This is gonna work out great for you because, now that you've got all the cosplay out of your system, you still have a whole weekend to celebrate. Scrape off your gooey zombie makeup. Friday in Humboldt is a great night for straight live music:
- Of course, the big event of the evening is EPIC's 36th Annual Fall Celebration at the Mateel highlighted by the conscious rhymes-meets-high energy live band that is The Coup. Environmentalists know how to get down.
- The Kate Buchanan Room plays host to The New York Gypsy All-Stars, a multi-car pileup of musical styles led by "classically trained, traditionally-raised, Macedonian clarinet wonder" Ismail Lumanovski. Like an airfare-free trip to Eastern Europe.
- Humboldt's Deadheads can experience one degree of separation from Jerry Garcia when his onetime keyboardist Melvin Seals returns to HumBrews for the first of two nights of jamming with the Humboldt County All-Stars.
- Friends of the LoCO and Curry County party rock ambassadors Fire Pony make their triumphant Humboldt debut at The Siren's Song Tavern. Lost Coast Outpost readers will note the drummer looks familiar.
(... and Fire Pony)
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
Fire Pony. Sounded great in the Point's Classic Cover Contest. Great beer is to be found at the Siren's Song Tavern as well. [$5 and under award]
Fire Pony. Their drummer is so good I can't tell if it's Christian rock or not.
The Coup, Indubious and New Kingston
Mateel Community Center / 6 p.m. / $50 / $25 after 8:30 p.m.
Join EPIC for their 36th Anniversary Fall Celebration featuring music by Bay Area political hip-hop group The Coup, along with reggae revolutionaries New Kingston and Indubious.
822-7711 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Curtain Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $10 Thursdays
"Deliciously wry and poignant play centers on three US Navy personnel, and one Navy wife, stationed at a base in Japan in the mid 1950’s – a little bit Kabuki, a little bit From Here to Eternity."
New York Gypsy All-Stars
Kate Buchanan Room / 8 p.m. / $25 / $15 HSU students
"Uniting virtuosi from throughout the Eastern European diaspora, forged in the halls of the world's best conservatories, The New York Gypsy All-Stars cover the world rhythmically and harmonically."
The Siren's Song Tavern / 9 p.m.
"First show in Humboldt is guaranteed to melt your soul into a vat of writhing bodies in a frenzy of aural pleasure. Your soul will most likely be returned at the end of the evening."
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Humboldt Circus' 28 Clubs Later
Gist Hall, HSU / 7:47-10:30 p.m. / $8 / 18+
Adults only (18+) Circus Show full of weird and wacky juggling, clowning, prop manipulations, burlesque, and much much more.
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:00, 5:15, 8:20
- CARRIE: 2:05, 4:35, 9:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:35, 4:00
- COUNSELOR: 1:00, 3:40, 6:20, 9:00
- ENDER S GAME: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 6:30, 8:40, 9:20
- ESCAPE PLAN: 6:55, 9:30
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 11:55, 1:10, 3:35, 4:40, 5:55, 8:15
- FREE BIRDS 3D: 2:15, 7:05
- FRUITVALE STATION: 2:25, 7:25, 9:25
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:15
- GRAVITY 3D: 1:50, 6:40, 9:05
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 1:15, 2:30, 3:45, 4:50, 6:05, 7:15, 8:30, 9:35
- LAST VEGAS: 12:45, 3:25, 6:10, 8:50
- WIZARD OF OZ 3D: 12:00, 4:30