Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013's Lowdown
Well, if you aren't already clutching Huckleberry Flint tickets close to your chest, you will not be going to their annual Christmas show at the Arcata Playhouse tonight. Sucks to be you.
But your Saturday Lowdown is flush with other options to occupy you on the longest night of the year. C'mon, it's Soul Night … let's see, what else? Oh! It's your last chance to see Dell'Arte's annual holiday show Babes in Toyland. Or, geez, you can see the guy from House of Pain … in Scotia. That's pretty special, right there. You can do this.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Catch the LaPatinas at the Farmer's Market or 12 hours later at the Logger Bar. OR BOTH. [$5 and under award]
This isn't the kinda mushroom walk you take from the ganja goo ball guy to the vegan burrito stand in a festy lot. This is the MATURE KIND. And the preferable kind now that grey hairs pop up to remind me of my own mortality.
The Music Man
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
(FINAL WEEKEND) Con man Harold Hill poses as a boys' band organizer and leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to naive townsfolk before skipping town with the cash.
786-5483 / Web site / View Comments
Arcata Winter Farmers' Market
Arcata Plaza / 10 a.m.-2 p.m. / Free
North Coast Growers Association event featuring nutritious, high quality, non-GMO foods
441-9999 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
In The Deep Midwinter: A Ghostly Christmas Celebration
Old Town Coffee And Chocolates / 7 p.m. / Free
The Lost Coast’s own wandering spectre and storyspinner Carpathian will be hosting his holiday celebration of macabre merriment and seasonal spookery.
445-8600 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Babes in Toyland
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 7:30 p.m. / $12 / $8 children / $10 student/senior
Dell’Arte Company’s annual holiday show returns for its 33rd year with a mad-cap adaptation of Victor Herbert’s classic family tale.
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Winema Theater / 8 p.m. / $28
Former House of Pain frontman and hit-making "What It's Like" singer sneaks behind the Redwood Curtain. With special guests Angels Cut and Redwood Blue. Some proceeds go to the Volunteer Fire Benefit Organization to help local fire departments and help victims of fire disaster.
764-4211 / Web site / View Comments
LaPatinas at the Logger
Logger Bar / 8:30 p.m. / Free / 21+
The Logger’s “house band” plays the solstice and the price has never been better.
668-5000 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- AMERICAN HUSTLE: 2:10, 5:25, 8:40
- ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES: 12:05, 1:00, 2:50, 3:50, 5:50, 6:40, 8:45, 9:30
- BOOK THIEF: 12:10, 3:05, 6:05, 9:05
- DALLAS BUYERS CLUB: 1:05, 3:45, 6:35, 9:20
- FROZEN 2D: 12:00, 2:35, 5:15, 7:50
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 1:20, 4:55, 8:30
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 11:45, 3:25, 7:05
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 2:20, 5:35, 9:00
- SAVING MR BANKS: 11:55, 2:55, 5:55, 8:55
- TYLER PERRY S A MADEA CHRISTMAS: 1:10, 3:55, 6:30, 9:10
- WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 2D: 11:50, 12:50, 12:55, 3:15, 5:40
- WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 3D: 8:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- AMERICAN HUSTLE: 2:00, 5:15, 8:30
- ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES: 12:50, 2:35, 3:40, 5:30, 6:30, 8:25, 9:20
- FROZEN 2D: 12:00, 2:40, 5:25, 8:00
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 1:30, 5:05, 8:40
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 12:20, 4:00, 7:40
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 1:40, 4:55, 8:15
- WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 2D: 12:10, 3:35, 5:55
- WALKING WITH DINOSAURS 3D: 1:15, 8:10
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 1:00, 4:35, 8:10
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 2:05, 5:25, 8:45
- PHILOMENA: 1:15, 3:40, 6:05, 8:30