Friday, Dec. 13, 2013's Lowdown
Arcata wins this week's Friday. The most obvious draw is, of course, Arts Arcata and all that goes with it. But since you're already on The Plaza ... :
- The Humboldt State University College Democrats are hosting an evening of wonky trivia they're calling Politics and Pints tonight at HumBrews. If you have $3 and think your know jack about politics they would appreciate the funds which they'll use to take a joyous trip to 2014 California Democrats State Convention in LA.
- Over at Jambalaya, it's a night full of musician's musicians: The Mike Keneally Band. The band's namesake dropped jaws for a spell in no less than Frank Zappa's band. Note: If you'd like to know more about this impressive lineup, head over to the Mad River Union site. Your Lost Coast Outpost cannot even pretend to be as enthusiastic about these guys as fanboy Kevin Hoover is.
- If you're looking to get a pop/punk history lesson, the Arcata Theatre Lounge is screening Filmage: The Story of the Descendents/ALL. View the trailer below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Pretty Zodiacist to have a Sagittarius only dance party. Who are you going to look at without a Leo in the room? A Taurus probably planned the whole thing. I would be a little worried about a Scorpio poisoning the punch because they weren't invited. A Scorpio would do that.
Redwood Raks World Dance Studio / 7:30-10:30 p.m. / $7 / $6 HFS members
Humboldt Folklife Society dance. Blake Ritter and Sam McNeill will play sizzling tunes and Sue Moon will call the dances, a mix of contras, squares, English and Irish Ceilidh dances.
502-1678 / Web site / View Comments
Arkley Center For The Performing Arts / 8 p.m. / $20 / $12 children under 12
North Coast Dance presents their annual holiday tradition. Features guest choreographers Ikolo and Sarah Griffin, a fantastic cast of local dancers, and world class guest performers.
442-7779 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
The Music Man
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
(FINAL WEEKEND) Con man Harold Hill poses as a boys' band organizer and leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to naive townsfolk before skipping town with the cash.
786-5483 / Web site / View Comments
KHUM Wants Your Food
KHUM Radio 104.3/104.7 / 2-7 p.m.
All week long, KHUM will broadcast live from area grocery stores in an effort to gather funds and foods for Food For People. Click for a list of times and locations.
Babes in Toyland
Orick Community Hall / 5-6 p.m. / Free / Free w/ a canned food donation
Dell’Arte Company’s annual holiday show returns for its 33rd year with a mad-cap adaptation of Victor Herbert’s classic family tale.
488-5741 / Web site / View Comments
The Art of Patricia Rose
SCRAP Humboldt / 6-9 p.m.
Tarnished silver bowls, silverware and teapots are transformed into whimsical creatures, people, and sculptures.
633-8349 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Potluck & Lecture on Christmas Bird Count
Humboldt County Office of Education / 6:30 p.m.
Redwood Region Audubon Society is sponsoring a presentation by RRAS officer and bird guide author Ken Burton, who will lead this interactive workshop. Ken will discuss any bird ID problems presented by the audience.
445-7065 / View Comments
The Character Projects
Carlo Theatre (Dell'Arte) / 8 p.m. / Free / 18+
"Share the evening with nine actor-poets as they transform into lively characters in a moving kaleidoscope of richly imagined worlds."
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
HSU Centennial Concert
Van Duzer Theater / 8-9:30 p.m. / $8 / Free HSU students / $5 seniors, children
Performances by the combined chorus of the University Singers and Humboldt Chorale together with the Humboldt Symphony, a new work for the occasion by Gilbert Cline and the Humboldt Bay Brass Band, and a new arrangement of the HSU Alma Mater by Brian Post performed by the Symphonic Band.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 2:20, 5:40, 9:00
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 12:50, 3:30, 6:10, 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- DELIVERY MAN: 4:00, 9:10
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 4:35, 8:10
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 5:25, 8:45
- PHILOMENA: 3:40, 6:05, 8:30