Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013's Lowdown
If you're any kind of live music consumer living in Humboldt, your ears have been been positively affected by Mike "Tofü" Schwartz. It could have been through the solid rhythms he provides for local bands Absynth Quintet and/or The Hip Joint. Maybe it was at one of the innumerable shows he'd run live sound for. Either way, dude is extremely invested in the sounds that emanate from behind the Redwood Curtain.
That is until now. Sadly, Thursday is Tofu Mike's 40th birthday. Now, we at the Lost Coast Outpost have not heard of any musicians continuing after they reach this dreaded milestone -- it could have happened, but, really what are the odds? -- so this is likely the end for him. Sorry, local ears.
Since, by tomorrow, the Tofu aisle may be closed forever, you're probably going to want to do your damnedest to get to the Logger Bar tonight for one last helping. There, Mike will be keepin' time for The Hip Joint. If you'd like some hints as to what Tofu wants for his birthday, the man took to Facebook last night with the following request:
Please do what you can to soothe Tofu's very tired muscles. (Happy birthday, friend.)
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Remember when The Bar Fly was The Vista and The White Stripes played there? Good times. You can feel the ghosts of 13 years ago at Pint Night.
The Music Man
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
(FINAL WEEKEND) Con man Harold Hill poses as a boys' band organizer and leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to naive townsfolk before skipping town with the cash.
786-5483 / Web site / View Comments
The Freak Show of Humanity
Mateel Community Center / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 sliding scale
Teenage theatre company Recycled Youth-written production. Characters include the Strong Man, the Magician, the Ring Master, the Lion Tamer & Lion, but this is not your average circus.
923-3368 / Web site / View Comments
Babes in Toyland
Winema Theater / 7-8 p.m. / Free / Free w/ a canned food donation
Dell’Arte Company’s annual holiday show returns for its 33rd year with a mad-cap adaptation of Victor Herbert’s classic family tale.
Web site / View Comments
Mighty Redwood Ambassadors, Diggin' Dirt
Six Rivers Brewery / 9 p.m.-midnight / Free
"The reggae vibe will be strong on this night, with awesome special guests bringing funk, rock, rap and blues songs too."
382-2746 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- DALLAS BUYERS CLUB: 12:40, 3:45, 6:30, 9:15
- DELIVERY MAN: 12:50, 3:30, 6:15, 8:55
- ENDER S GAME: 3:25, 8:40
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 12:10, 2:40, 4:55
- FROZEN 2D: 11:55, 12:35, 1:10, 2:35, 5:15, 5:55, 7:50
- FROZEN 3D: 3:15, 8:30
- GRAVITY 3D: 1:05, 6:20
- HOMEFRONT: 1:40, 4:15, 6:50, 9:25
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 12:20, 1:20, 2:20, 3:40, 4:40, 5:40, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 7:15, 9:35
- LAST VEGAS: 3:25, 6:10, 8:45
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 1:05, 3:50, 6:35, 9:20
Mill Creek Cinema
- DELIVERY MAN: 3:20, 5:55, 8:30
- ENDER S GAME: 4:10, 9:10
- FROZEN 2D: 2:40, 5:20, 5:50, 8:00
- FROZEN 3D: 3:10, 8:25
- GRAVITY 3D: 6:50
- HOMEFRONT: 4:20, 6:50, 9:25
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 2:45, 4:10, 6:00, 7:30, 9:10
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 3:40, 6:30, 9:15
- 12 YEARS A SLAVE: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- ALL IS LOST: 3:15, 6:15, 9:10
- HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE: 5:25, 8:45