Your Dog Has A Party To Go To This Weekend
Lowdown frequenters will admit that we have a certain prejudice when it comes to the events we highlight. They tend to be geared toward humans. We're lame, we know. To pay penance, we want to give you a day early heads up on the canine party goin' down tomorrow.
Ruff! Woofstock, now in its 18th year, returns to Eureka's Halvorsen Park tomorrow to give man's best friend a day all for them. featuring the annual Mutt Strut through Old Town at 10 a.m. where canines and their human counterparts raise pledges to help homeless animals. Back in the park, you'll witness plenty of dog contests -- best costume, dog/owner look-alike, best wag, cutest dog, for example. The you also got your contests, face painting and petting zoo. Family fun and stuff.
And you can't throw the -stock suffix on your event with out music. Specifically, local bands Silver Hammer, Kindred Spirits and Rooster McClintock will be on tap to provide frequencies to be enjoyed by the ears of every species. Again, Woofstock is Saturday, but if you're also alive on Friday, there are lots of human events going on in your Lowdown below.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Carl Nordberg's Ripple
Northtown Books / 7 a.m.
Carl Nordberg signs his novel, a mystery adventure set in the subculture of the Grateful Dead. In the spirit of the book, there will be live music.
822-2834 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
As You Like It
Redwood Park / 7 p.m.
Plays in the park! After being banished to the Forest of Arden by her power-hungry uncle, Rosalind is forced to hide her identity from her new-found love, Orlando. She must find a way to woo him dressed as a man, hiding her true feelings and feminine ways, while flaunting her lightning wit.
The Tale of the Allergist's Wife
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 students/seniors
Follows the story of Marjorie Taub, the wife of a philanthropic allergist, who is engulfed in a life crisis of Medea-like proportions.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
California Environmental Legacy Project Lecture
Humboldt County Office of Education / 7:30 p.m.
Producer/director David Scheerer discusses a new series of films to be shown in five California National and State Parks.
445-7065 / View Comments
Van Duzer Theater / 7:30 p.m. / $19 / $13 balcony
Humboldt Light Opera Company (HLOC) presents flying dragons, catchy tunes, flashy dance numbers, irreverent romance, and dozens of your favorite fairytale creatures together on stage
445-4310 / Web site / View Comments
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
Ferndale Rep presents the story of a penniless soprano, named Victoria, colludes with a struggling gay impresario to disguise herself as a man named Victor, who entertains as a female impersonator known as "Victoria" - and as a result becomes the toast of Paris.
786-5483 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- 2 GUNS: 1:25, 4:05, 6:45, 9:25
- CONJURING: 9:10
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:40, 4:10, 6:40
- ELYSIUM: 12:40, 3:25, 6:15, 7:35, 9:00
- GROWN UPS 2: 1:50, 7:05
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 2D: 12:50, 6:10
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 3D: 3:30, 8:50
- PLANES 2D: 12:00, 4:40, 7:00
- PLANES 3D: 2:20, 9:10
- RED 2: 12:10, 2:55, 5:40, 8:30
- SMURFS 2 2D: 11:50, 12:30, 2:25, 3:10, 5:00, 5:50, 8:25
- THE HEAT: 4:20, 9:30
- TURBO 2D: 12:20, 2:45, 5:10
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:00, 3:45, 6:30, 7:45, 9:15
- WOLVERINE 2D: 11:55, 6:05, 9:10
- WOLVERINE 3D: 3:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- 2 GUNS: 1:30, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 2:55, 7:50
- ELYSIUM: 1:10, 3:50, 6:35, 9:20
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 2D: 12:45, 6:05
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS 3D: 3:30, 8:40
- PLANES 2D: 12:55, 3:20, 5:50
- PLANES 3D: 8:15
- SMURFS 2 2D: 12:20, 3:00, 5:40, 8:10
- TURBO 2D: 12:30, 5:25
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:00, 3:40, 6:20, 9:00
- WOLVERINE 2D: 12:05, 3:05, 6:10, 9:10
- 2 GUNS: 3:45, 6:20, 9:00
- ELYSIUM: 3:35, 6:10, 8:45
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 3:55, 6:35, 9:15