County of Humboldt's Hank Seemann spoke with KHUM about the meeting, the hurdles, and the process.
The county is gearing up to acquire hundreds of acres behind Eureka. The McKay Tract, currently owned by Green Diamond Resource Company, could become accessible to the public for hiking, biking, wildlife viewing, watershed protection, with sustainable timber harvest defraying the cost of management.
[Photo: Three miles up main McKay trail]
This is not a done deal, and the county is begging for public comment. Are you for this? Will this be another meeting proponents don't show?
- What: Public input for McKay Tract proposal
- When: 6:00-7:30pm p.m., Tuesday April 30th
- Where: Winship Middle School, 2500 Cypress (Off Walnut Drive in Cutten)
County informational flyer below the jump.
- Mad River (Blue Lake) - 9am-1pm - Mad River Alliance - meet at Stardoughs
- Klamath River - 9am - Yurok Tribe - Meet at Yurok Main Office
- North Jetty (Eureka) - 10am-1pm - Humboldt Surfrider - meet at North Jetty Parking Lot
- Sequoia Park (Eureka) - Noon-2pm - Sequoia Park Zoo - pull ivy out of the park
- Manila Beach - 9:30am-12:30pm - Friends of the Dunes - meet at Manila Community Center
- Ma-le'l Dunes - 9am- Friends of the Dunes - Trail steward workday - meet at Young Lane lot
- Palco Marsh (Eureka) - Noon-2pm - Humboldt Baykeeper - meet at the end of Del Norte Street
- Samoa Beach - 1-3pm - Northcoast Environmental Center - meet at parking lot
- Are there others?
Don't miss the afterparty at the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center. The Earth Day Hoedown is from 3-7pm. Music, food, drink and great company as volunteers and community members come together at the end of a day of beach clean-up and restoration activities. Free for those who volunteer that day and $5 for the general public.
[Photo: Northcoast Environmental Center]
Mike Dronkers / Monday, April 1 @ 2:18 p.m. / PSA
Got a bike you just haven't ridden in three years? Maybe a jogging stroller your kid outgrew last year? Or maybe you're looking for a surfboard or camp stove.
Friends of the Dunes is holding their Get Outside outdoor gear sale on April 14th.
If you want to donate or consign something, drop it off at Ocean Night at the Arcata Theater Lounge (Thursday, 7pm-9pm).
Otherwise, swing by the Humboldt Coastal Nature Center in Manila on Sunday April 14th between 11am-4pm.
Cliff Berkowitz / Tuesday, March 5 @ 7:46 a.m. / PSA
Cliff talks with Rose Gale-Zoellic, ED of the Breast Health Project and Jeff DeMark about an upcoming event to benefit the organization. On Saturday March 9th, 7:30pm at the Sewell Gallery, 423 F Street, Eureka, Jeff DeMark and The LaPatinas along with the Spindrifters will perform songs and stories. Tickets are $10 and available in advance at Wildberries, The Works, and through the Breast Health Project.
Mike Dronkers / Friday, March 1 @ 11:13 a.m. / PSA
Redwood Acres, Saturday March 2nd, 4pm. The Facebook page already shows 400 people going.
if any of you have ever been touched by the magic of what it means to give birth, to support a woman in labor, to advocate for the essential sacredness of space that a newborn deserves, if you have ever even admired from afar the revolutionary women who have made it possible for home birth to not be serially maligned, then please mark this date on your calendar."
Schedule Of Events
Amazing Organic Local Taco Bar 4:00 - 9:00
Scoops Ice Cream and Redwood Yogurt Bar 4:30 - 9:00
Marmalade Sky slideshow 5:00 and running on a loop