Mike Dronkers / Yesterday @ 1:29 p.m. /
Their Kickstarter is going pretty good. Because of this song?
Kym Kemp / Yesterday @ 7:24 a.m. / Earthquake
As of seven this morning, a series of twenty quakes all larger than 2.5 have followed behind last night's 6.9 earthquake off the North Coast. Two have been larger than 4.5.
The 6.9 earthquake struck at 10:18 p.m. about 50 miles west of Eureka. This event rolled across the North Coast leaving little damage in its wake. The strongest movement reportedly lasted about 30 seconds but there are no indications of serious damage.
The Redwood Coast Tsunamis Workshop (RCTW) states on their Facebook page that there is a 90% chance of an aftershock magnitude 5 or larger occurring in the next week and "a 5 - 10% chance that an earthquake of equal or larger magnitude might occur." Most of these, however, will likely be located near the area of yesterday's main quake and won't be felt by North Coast residents.
Though there was no tsunami danger during this event, the RCTW urges everyone to "dust off your emergency plans, resupply your emergency kits and, if you live near the coast--KNOW YOUR ZONE!" Maps for tsunami zones are posted here.
Hank Sims / Sunday, March 9 @ 10:19 p.m. /
UPDATE, 11:10 p.m.: Amazingly, so far as we can tell there have been no reports of major damage anywhere in the county. However, we can confirm that the quake was felt at least as far away as Willits.
UPDATE, 11:02 p.m.: There is a greater than 90 percent chance or a 5.0 aftershock or bigger in the next, 7 days, the USGS reports.
UPDATE 10:58 p.m.: Caltrans is saying no road damage reported to them so far!
UPDATE 10:54 p.m.:
UPDATE 10:47 p.m.: US Weather Service and other sites now saying 6.9. There is NO tsunami threat.
Screengrab from here.
That was a rocker. Share your experiences here: More info coming soon.
Mike Dronkers / Friday, March 7 @ 12:18 p.m. /
This guy's spine has 20 screws in it. And the self-described "realest MC north of the Rio Grande" is one of the most unique advocates for medical marijuana we've ever seen. He's on the front page of Uproxx today:
"The song is delightfully awkward and cleverly penned — a tongue-in-cheek rap that references his struggles with central core myopathy, a ultra-rare genetic form of muscular dystrophy that, for a portion of his life, rendered him extremely weak and completely unable to walk."
And nobody really knows who Tommy2Stix really is. Uproxx:
"If Clark Kent is Tomas (he requested we withhold his last name out of fear that his rap career might hamper his ability to get into law school) – a bilingual, hardworking, studious, first-generation Mexican-American who graduated from American University in Washington, D.C.; the son of successful parents who were continuously on his case to study for the LSATs –– then Superman is Tommy2Stix, a rising hip-hop artist who’s fueled by medical marijuana, a recently discovered confidence and a strong wit that has helped compensate for years of physical pain, uncertainties and doubt about his health condition."
Mike Dronkers / Thursday, March 6 @ 9:12 a.m. /
Humboldt State's 100th year has been quite a doozy.
In case you've been in a cave, HSU is nearing the end of a year-long victory lap, locally and nationally.
The centennial roadshow continues to bring HSU alumni together in places like Austin and Chicago; they threw a massive parade and plaza party in the fall, and now you're invited to drink with them at Humbrews March 8th.
Because seriously, you can't celebrate like a Humboldter without custom craft beer.
So HSU convinced some of our local brewers to concoct a beverage worthy of the school's legacy.
HSU's Courtney Haraldson joined us in the noon today hour to elaborate.
Also on the centennial front, HSU's big Alumni Centennial Roadshow Finale event hits the Arcata Theatre Lounge March 22nd.
Happy 100th, HSU. Thanks for the economic and intellectual boost.
Cliff Berkowitz / Thursday, March 6 @ 8:52 a.m. / Event
This morning I spoke with Marilyn Backman and Beverly Morgan Lewis of Humdogs about the Humdog Expo coming up this Sunday March 9th from 10am till 4pm at Redwood Acres Fairgrounds. There will be many demonstrations, a parade of breeds and a chance to check out many breeds and talk to their owners to see what breed is right for you. There will also be many rescue groups on hand for those of you such as myself who are looking for a rescue dog (Amy and I have 3 of them). There will also be lots of great raffles raising money for spay and nuttier programs and many venders of lots of dog related products. This event is free as is the parking.